Women used in Scuba Advertising

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jiveturkey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Have you noticed the number of women used in scuba advertising? Take a look through any dive magazine. Do you think this is because manufacturers and dive operations are trying to attract more female divers or are they using sex appeal to attract more males to their ads?

biscuit7 once bubbled...
yes.

Well, that settles it then. Move along folks. Nothing to see here. :wink:

I am guessing, since most gear and other scuba products are designed for men (in terms of size and cut, for example) that most of the ads you see related to diving will be directed toward men as well. Ads for gear designed specifically for women will also usually have women in them, but the undertones of those ads are definitely different.

When a dive magazine uses a model who looks like she'd never even consider getting her hair wet, I'd say they are targeting the masculine side of the dive community. There are also the magazines which feature nude female divers but seem to ignore the desires of the other pasrt of our community.

And then there are a few articles (vs ads) which seem to try to reach the female divers amidst us, such as modeling equipment specifically designed for women and using women who actually look like they might get wet!

While as a male, I can appreciate the aesthetics of the first, however too much emphasis on such makes me question the integrity of the publication involved.

Dr. Bill

With my raging teenage hormones, I have noticed that the models used in scuba ads are generally (though not always) less "super-model" than the girls in other ads. The scuba models seem, to me at least, to be more real life kind of people.

if you have to baffle me with a beautiful model with next to nothing on to entice me to buy then there just might be something you don't want me to know about your product. A lot like the way magicians use flashy but scantily clad female stage assistants. Nor am I impressed by the male models used to advertise mens gear. These guys all make a Navy seal look like a pathetic out of shape wimp. I'm wise enough to know that there is no amount of scuba gear that will make me look anything like that male model.

A recent issue of a popular diving magazine featured some nice cleavage snorkeling on the cover. I'm not real sure what that has to do with anything.....

It's official, I've spent too much time in countries that are far less commercialized than the USA. Advertising is a funny thing, they give us what they think we want, and in turn we want what they tell us we should.

And, btw, why don't they ever have wetsuit models with suits on that actually fit? You would think that would be a good thing.

R

How HERE's a thread that has me smirking!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom