Women and sharks.. curious

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"It has been demonstrated that sharks are uninterested in menstrual fluids. This is not, as some dive physicians suggest, because the amount of fluid is small and discharged over a number of days. Sharks have an highly developed ability to detect chemicals dissolved in water…if even the tiniest quantity of mensus is released into the water during an hour’s dive, the incredible acuity of the shark olfactory system may well be able to detect it. While certain types of blood are well-known to be highly attractive to sharks, menstrual 'blood' is a complex fluid that is chemically very different from systemic blood. Menstrual fluid does include 'old' (hemolyzed) blood, but it has been shown experimentally that sharks are simply not interested in it. ["Shark Smart" by Richard Martin, shark fisheries biologist turned marine educator]

There is no evidence of increased shark interest in a menstruating female. The hemolytic blood associated with menses may instead act as a shark deterrent."

(Edmonds, et al., 1992, p. 65). ["Women in Scuba" by Jacalyn Robert of Texas Tech University]

I've heard that before about menstrual blood not being chemically attractive to a shark.

I just want to mention that the last 2 posts discussed menstrual blood getting "into the water". Our menstrual fluid is not getting into the water any more than it gets into our clothes - which is not at all if we can help it. I did read somewhere before that menstrual blood within the core of the body is also not as much of a signal to a shark as blood floating around in the water.

I too was always told that it didn't attract sharks due to the difference in its chemical make up, but that was just word of mouth, but others have posted links so I guess it was more than that.

However, slightly off topic, fairly early on in my diving I found this and it made those full dive day outings so much easier, especially when I was diving in out of the way areas.

Of course the ladies don't need to worry about all this anyway... sharks are man eaters.

When I'm not doing my usual solo diving, most of my regular buddies are women. I've never asked any of them their menstrual state, but I have not noticed any difference in the number of great whites that appear in sight when I'm diving with them. In fact, the only time one was observed swimming by us, I was buddied up with a man. Disclaimer: this is strictly anecdotal and does not represent a valid scientific study.

I just found the mooncup. Haven't tried it yet, but I am interested. Have you had any problems with it? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I LOVE mine. I totally endorse for diving and everyday life.
I would say you'll probably need to trim the tab, that was painful until I got it to the right length.
You'll also want pantiliners to use with it (obv not while diving)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom