Woman steals $3,000 gear bag from back door - Georgia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I done condone stealing, the guy's sanity needs checking - leaving a bag full of dive gear outside a locked building is not really very smart.

If he really did have to leave the gear (can't read the article), would it not have been possible to discuss it with a nearby business who might have taken the gear in for a nominal fee?

The article references "Stolen"....can one steal abandoned property? Leaving a sack full of stuff unattended outside in a public area could be argued that the property was abandoned...or could have legitimately thought to have been.

-Z

"Florida Man" strikes again... When will it end?

The article references "Stolen"....can one steal abandoned property? Leaving a sack full of stuff unattended outside in a public area could be argued that the property was abandoned...or could have legitimately thought to have been.

-Z

I'm not sure that on the property of a business really counts as a public area does it? If so, cars at a car lot would all be abandoned vehicles. In any event, there's some requirement in FL that you turn in any found anything to the 5.0. After some amount of time (60 days or something) you can claim it if the owner hasn't stepped forward. It's my understanding that picking up $1.00 from the street and pocketing it is technically stealing if you skip the step of turning it in.

-Z

Noooo... the "I thought it was abandoned, so I had a right to take it" defense is ridiculous. If it was viable, cars parked on a public street could be stolen with impunity; the thief could just claim they thought the car was "abandoned."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom