Without A Strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Noob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I have a Canon Powershot S95, Ikelite housing, but no strobe right now ($$$). Eventually looking to get something by Sea&Sea around next year.

How good shots can you get without a strobe (using a point-and-shoot)? Are there any strobe-less guides available?

Anyone have S95 photos without a strobe, and anyone recommend the manual settings (aperture, shutter speed, iso, etc.)?

Thanks.

Hi,

I have a Canon Powershot S95, Ikelite housing, but no strobe right now ($$$). Eventually looking to get something by Sea&Sea around next year.

How good shots can you get without a strobe (using a point-and-shoot)? Are there any strobe-less guides available?

Anyone have S95 photos without a strobe, and anyone recommend the manual settings (aperture, shutter speed, iso, etc.)?

Thanks.

I shot for 3-4 years without a strobe and got some really good pics. Just remember that you'll be shooting macro and get as close to your subject as you can.

Hi,

Thanks.
Without a strobe you have poor colors on dives at normal recreational diving depths.....If you can't afford the strobe, see if you can find a friend with a powerful dive light, and then put waxpaper or something similar over the light to diffuse it..you do NOT want a focused dive light, but the most diffused you can get... and then experiment with high iso and wide aperture settings....

I shoot video with a canon 5d mark II and have dual video lights..kind of like powerful dive lights....they are very diffused of course....I can use them to take pretty decent stills, if I choose the right settings...full auto for you may work just fine...Even with $4000 stobes, you have to be CLOSE to the subject, like 1 foot to 3 feet away...this will be even more important for you....hardest thing for you will be figuring out how to get the best diffusing of the light or light(s) you use.

You can get good quality photos with the S95 w/o a strobe.

Shoot your macro shots with the cameras built-in strobe using the diffuser (not deflector) that came with the housing. Stay within about 2 to 3 feet of your subject. Don't get on top of the subject as the housing may block part of the built-in strobe. Use your zoom to get closer. Shooting in RAW will give you more control over the post-processing but shooting JPEG is fine for the strobe shots. Do not use the "underwater" setting when using the internal strobe.

Shooting non-strobe shots is a different situation. RAW is a must so that you can adjust the white balance in post-processing. Using the Canon Digital Photo Professional (DPP) software that came with the camera will do a good job on the white balance. Calibrating "custom white balance" underwater or using the "underwater" setting will not yield results as good as shooting RAW.

An example of using the DPP software on RAW shots is on my WEBSITE

OP, I shot my A570 for almost 4 yrs with no strobe----& the S95 is better??..Look @ some of my A570 shots-with no external strobe- in my sig below, it's the 2nd link.......I used Av, macro all the time, ISO 80, F5.6 & lower(the deeper I went), flash on, used the UW fish icon setting on & only shot in JPEG(lol--all I had)......Now saying this, a strobe(with a WA lens) will kick this setup in the buttocks, IMO..............Also-----used OEM(Canon) housing for the 570.....

EDIT:---& get CLOSE, when you think you're close enuff get CLOSER......

Last edited:
I shot for quite a bit of time with no strobe (since they didn't invent TTL for P&S back in those days. In order to minimize the natural blue-ish light, you have to have a external light that is much stronger than ambient light. Without a powerful strobe, your only way is to (besides getting close, as indicated above) use a high shutter speed so that not enough ambient light hits the sensor. Set it to as high as shutter speed as your flash's maximum firing duration. You will more or less want your internal flash to fire at full blast, so play with the ISO setting. I've had good success with subject up to 5-8ft away with f1.8.

As a fellow West Coast Canadian, I can give you some of my experiences based on conditions that you are likely to encounter locally ....

- You Can get decent shots using the methods above, But a strobe does make a big difference in the number of keepers. (At least for those pics that you only get one shot)

- The Ikelite housing does tend to block light to the lower right of the image. You can probably eliminate this if you zoom in a little, or plan to crop later.

- Any amount of silt seems to create a lot of back-scatter around here. Far more than I've experienced in any blue water location. I'm assuming it has to do with the fine sediment we have??

- If you can afford it, a strobe is a super handy tool for getting good shots. Now that I have one, I would be hard pressed to leave it at home.

This is (almost) what my current set-up looks like:
6044980406_624855e375_m.jpg

I've since flipped the case around, and swapped the location of the strobe and focus light. (To keep the strobe on the left, but be mounted on the flex arm)

...How good shots can you get without a strobe (using a point-and-shoot)? Are there any strobe-less guides available?

How good you consider your resulting shots to be depends on how particular you personally are (for "good"), and the waters that you'll be diving in. The biggest problem with 'no strobe' P&S photography is that you're not going to have the strobe power to restore the full light spectrum for those photos where you want the full spectrum, because post-processing can only go so far.

What this means is that if you're taking natural light photos of a big shipwreck (where you want to be monochromatic), you'll be turning off your internal strobe anyway, so you'll do fine.

Similarly, if you're taking really close in macro photos, the P&S's built-in strobe (if available) can usually be adequate, particularly with post-processing. FYI, having less ambient light is usually helpful here.

The lack of a strobe is basically a problem in the middle ground ... photos of people portraits & fish at 2ft - 4ft range. You basically try and then hope for the best with post-processing results. What does help with post processing is to be shooting in shallow depths (<30fsw) and in gin-clear water ... basically, to have some red channel naturally present to be able to boost in post-processing. Here's an example:

Original, as taken (Canon A70 P&S):
hawskbill_uncorrected(IMG_7296).jpg

After Post-Processing:
hawksbill_cayman_brac.jpg

FWIW, I was lucky in that the above turtle was quite shallow: he swam under me as I was approaching my safety stop, so probably only 30fsw depth or so...but even so, notice how the post-processing affected sandy bottom background (blown out whites).

The same shot with some more examples are located here - and the images in the beginning (bracketed between the B&W images of the Nikonos camera system) are from this digital P&S without an external strobe, whereas the images in the second half are digital scans from 35mm slides taken with the dual-strobe system in those B&W photos...hopefully gives you an idea of the difference in potential. Note the differences in image compositions: a lot of the P&S images were macro- and also "under ledge" to block ambient sunlight. One that isn't is the 2nd photo which I chose to leave as Natural Light: this was at ~60fsw and despite the internal strobe, there simply wasn't enough red channel to boost in post-processing to get up to the true color fidelity close without bringing up horribly overt "red speckles" noise.

No settings offhand, but I'd be inclined to recommend that you let the camera do most of the work of exposure optimization. There's some trade-offs, but what you want to prioritize having personal control over is the camera's internal strobe (forced on/forced off ... try to avoid the randomness of 'automatic') and if the camera has a Macro button. Similarly, you probably want to avoid any auto-ISO feature and force the camera to a modestly low ISO setting, such as 100...UW backgrounds can be a void that fools TTL systems and high ISO gets noisy fast.

Finally, a partial solution could be an old strobe that's triggered via a slave sensor off of your internal flash. I used one of these a few years ago (a "salvage" setup from some flooded equipment) with a quite powerful Ikelite SS-200 strobehead and found that while I could make it work, it was back to the very old days of UW photography where you only had manual settings for everything and you needed to be very studious in controlling your distance-to-subject for your strobe lighting path while remembering all of your photography fundamentals for exposure.

Hope this helps,

-hh

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom