With Age Comes ... Wisdom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

latestartfish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
In my life experience, it also comes with FAT. As I am mid-cert, I'm looking into purchasing a wetsuit. I've discovered that I'll need a custom, primarily due to my height (or lack thereof) of 5'0", but also my Idaho-potato build. Hey, I LOVE Idaho potatoes, or any other kind, and it shows!

I like to think I'm in reasonable shape, no stranger to exercise, and my Dr. has declared me fit to dive, I'm just a little gun-shy about showing up in a skin-tight suit, well, need I say more? I know someone in the group I'm diving with will be thinking, "You've GOT to be kidding me?!", or "She may want to rethink this whole scuba thing...".

Please tell me I'm wrong, or better yet, that other females are looking just as good in a wetsuit, or best, just go for it, no one cares, and that the important thing is to have a safe FUN dive!

Just a few idle thoughts--hope someone gets a bit of a chuckle! :laughing:

LSF
:coffee:

The fish life are on display, not the divers. So don't sweat it.

Getting a custom wetsuit has a few bonus upsides. Since it will fit properly it will be much warmer than a non fitting off the rack suit. And better still - you get to pick whatever colors you want! Each suit panel can be any color you choose (I am assuming your provider has a good selection of material).

Think about green arms and yellow legs. Or maybe right side red, left side purple?

And as 00wabbit indicated, a mask full of snot is a great equalizer.

One of the things I love most about diving is that it's almost impossible to look hot doing it (a few tall, slender men in black trilaminate manage it). Whether you wear a wetsuit or a dry suit, you're going to look bulky and awkward diving cold water. My friend Bob says I do the "Twiggy to piggy" thing as I get geared up.

Don't worry about it. Underwater, all anyone cares is whether you are competent, and don't silt out a dive site.

Hey marine mammals have body fat for a reason!

Back
Top Bottom