Wish me luck...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
we're doing rescue this weekend at Pearl Lake (Illinois).
Did fine on the classroom work, but I'm a small middle-aged woman of only average fitness, so I'm a little worried about the physical demands. All my good intentions to get in shape before this weekend went the way good intentions usually do. (But hey, round is a shape... :D ) I've heard a lot of stories about how Rescue really kicks your butt even if you're really strong. It's supposed to be a great confidence builder, but that's only if you succeed...
So, wish me success and no injuries!

Good Luck! Some say the best shape for a diver is a little overweight. Indeed my flabby friends kick my butt in the SAP department...

I'm doing rescue sometime late august or sept. the DS hasn't decided yet. :) let me know what you had to do.

Just for the record, I'm not actually overweight, just not as toned and strong as I'd like to be, since my 'victim" will certainly be significantly larger than me.
Thanks for the good wishes; I'll let "youse" know how it went!

I am doing my Rescue classes this weekend also. I am the guy that you do not want in your class. 6'1" 255 lbs. In fact, I don't want me. good luck and have fun. We will talk Sunday night.

drl:
we're doing rescue this weekend at Pearl Lake (Illinois).
Did fine on the classroom work, but I'm a small middle-aged woman of only average fitness,

You will do fine. If you were a big guy then you might learn to do a firemen cary but being smaller you will learn that you need to float and drag the "victum" until only their sholders are out of the water. A bigger person could cary someone up the beach, you will drag them 1/3rd of the way out of the water. Not a big deal You learn what you can and can't do. You have to figure that PADI rigs these classes so than anyone who pays attenion can pass. Just do as well as you can. Feel lucky you don't live near the ocean and you don't have to do recue breathing in the surf.

Good luck to you too, AggieDad!
And yes, I'm glad I won't have to deal with surf!

Rescue is one of the best classes that a diver (of any age and physique) can take. You will be a better "dive buddy" for it. I am tiny (5'6/114 lbs.) and I too was a little nervous when I did my S & R - but it was worth it. Go girl!

H- the IslandCowgirl

Back
Top Bottom