Wire Coral super macro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dennis - very nice stots, I agree with Mike, touch up the images manually!

whitehead:
Superb!! The eye is like a pearl. I am particulary impressed that the DOF (which must be limited to a few millimeters) is really well matched to the subject - did it take a lot of attempts?

MANY MANY attempts! these were shot using film. I spent many dives in shallow water getting the technique dialed in for shooting these high magnification images.

here are a couple of shots of the rig I used to take the shots. I am still debating about taking this monster to Yap when I join Mike V for the photo clinic

51925_1123720087_macro-bazooka.jpg

51925_1123720087_Macro-bazooka2.jpg

Great!!!

How often do you find wire goby? I've seen tons of wire coral, but no gobies :frown:

justleesa:
Great!!!

How often do you find wire goby? I've seen tons of wire coral, but no gobies :frown:

The gobies are VERY common on Guam, Most wire coral will have one or more as well as several different species of shrimp and crabs. It is usually deep along the outer reef walls. hence lots of current!

Diver Dennis:
I see you have a modeling flashlight there Chris. That helps a lot? I'm thinking of getting one.

for high magnifation a bright narrow beam light is essential, otherwise you will have a VERY dark image in the viewfinder.

If you search the forum I started a thread long ago describing the techneques I use to shoot this stuff

Chris:

These fantastic shots are not a surprise coming from you. They meet your usual high standards. I hope all is well on Guam and tell John & Nora C. I said hello, I heard John is back in the water, which is great news.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom