Winter wetsuit diving in BC. Is it crazy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you will be diving in these parts, a drysuit is your friend. My last wetsuit dive was my OW checkout dive. The very next dive I did was the drysuit class. I won't go back to wet until I go to more tropical waters.

Ok, I did it. Two dives on Saturday. The verdict: Bearable - Yes; Comfortable - No.

Thanks for the good advice everyone, I guess I had to find out for myself. I'll be signing up for a drysuit course soon.
I had been diving in the tropics for several decades before I came to live in BC. One of the most shocking differences I felt when I started cold water diving was the amount of insulation I had to wear and the amount of weight I had to use to offset its buoyancy. My buoyancy control was horrible in the beginning. I knew for sure what good buoyancy control was and in the beginning I just couldn't make it happen. That's why I decided to stay with wetsuits until I dominated the buoyancy issues. I did not think that having the added complexity of a drysuit at that point in my progression was a wise thing for me.

I did my very first drysuit dive at around my 100th cold water dive. By that time wetsuit buoyancy was well under control and drysuit operation came in very easy and effortlessly. Now I have 2 drysuits, decent buoyancy control, but no drysuit c-card. I do not think I'll ever get that particular card.

While diving wet, I did dives in all sorts of weather, usually 2 per day. I remember a day when I did 3 dives - 2 30 mins ones in a lake that showed 43 F at 70 feet and then one 80 min dive exploring the VT100 wreck. It was summer and I felt fine.

Yes, dry suits are more comfortable. Yes, there were a couple of days when I had to abort second dives because it just was too cold. But you can still do an awful lot of diving in wetsuits.

I would really suggest adding another 5mm on top of your 7mm, otherwise you'll be cold within 15 minutes... gloves and hood as well obviously...
That's what I dive with in 40 degrees water and it usually takes at least 30 minutes before being cold.... I wouldn't think of it jumping in with only a 7mm.

I dove 7mm full body Bare Arctic with a 7mm hooded vest that covered torso and thighs ie. 14mm over torso and thighs.

19275546646e3138cbf828-380x317.jpg

Back
Top Bottom