Winter diving vs. Summer diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warren_L:
Can't say that I am much of a crack smoker, but yes, I dove Catalina around new years last year in a 7mm and water was 57F. It was quite comfortable, if I recall correctly. And if you wish to meet this "fictional person", come to Catalina just after new years. I will be there. Probably in a 7mm. Heck, I've even dove an ice dive in a 7mm here in Canada with water temps at 32F and have been fine on a 20 minute dive. It does start to get cold towards the end, but really, very tolerable. It's the air temperature you have to worry about around here in the winter.

That was funny, personally I like to stick with herion only. Since I buy in bulk I get it at a better price. Must agree, I feel the cold in my 7mm, and it's a Xcel. SI and the second dive is when it kicks in. First dive is ok, my coldest so far is 52F.

This weekend I dove for 60 minutes in water that was around 57 degrees in a 7 mil wetsuit, and I felt very comfortable. Didn't even notice the water temperature, except at one point in the dive I noticed being a little cool. But otherwise it wasn't even on my radar. I think it has to do with metabolism and stuff. I usually run pretty warm, and generate a lot of heat. Some fish even come up next to me to warm their fins. Anything I can do to help...

I guess I'm not the only one on crack? :jawsdown:

Yes, body metabolism would be an issue. But in addition to that, for me, a proper fitting wetsuit can make a huge difference too. I've been in poorly fitting wetsuits and have felt colder than when in well fitting wetsuit in colder water.

I was on the same dive with Jim and was wearing a one piece 7mm Henderson Hyperstretch and an old 1/8th inch hood and didn't even notice the water temp at 57 degrees.

Christian

You will never feel too warm under california water, no matter how thick the wetsuit you wear. I have never heard anybody saying, "it is hot down there". On the beach suiting up under the sun is different story. But that just increase your urge for diving.

I think your wetsuit will be fine in the Summer. A few people I dive with have dry suits and they tend to dive wet when it's really hot out. They laugh at me during the winter, not even noticing the temperature....

desert camel:
You will never feel too warm under california water, no matter how thick the wetsuit you wear. I have never heard anybody saying, "it is hot down there". On the beach suiting up under the sun is different story. But that just increase your urge for diving.
I used to overheat in my 1/4 inch farmer john. At Catalina throughout the winter I remember having to unzip it and flush cold water through it because I felt too hot.

Christian

I was hot in my suit in Laguna... It was like high 60s in the water, I should have dove without my hood.

Now there's one guy I know who dives in 2 4-3 surf suits, he's crazy... it was 53 one day and you could see his whole body shaking he was so cold. He wanted to dive though.

headhunter:
I used to overheat in my 1/4 inch farmer john. At Catalina throughout the winter I remember having to unzip it and flush cold water through it because I felt too hot.

Christian
Fine. you are the first and sb_diver is the second I heard of feeling too hot in cali water. Anyway, you can always unzip to cool yourself down. But what can you do when you feel cold?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom