Winter diving in the South

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two great dives so far this weekend at Clark Hill Lake (Augusta GA) .

Friday's Dive: Two of us were off work Friday. David wanted to go deeper today (surprise). We ended up diving to 121' for 1 hour 5 minutes. Vis was about 10-12'. Surface temp was 56 degrees, but 51 at our max depth. We began our dive by descending along the rocks to the plane. From there we headed to the missile at 82' (nice stripper there, I mean striper... though a stripper would have probably gotten our attention more). From there we headed deeper past the 105' ledge and on out to 121'. I wonder how much a 7mm suit compresses at 121'. Well I am glad it had warmed up to 51 degrees at depth or it might have been cold . :D Dave will probably complain tomorrow that he had to use his dive light some (I believe he last changed his batteries in 2004 or so...). After reaching 121' we turned East and swam up past the boulders to the 80' wall. We swam along the wall a ways at 80'-90' and then dropped down and did part of the 100' wall (didn't need lights there). We angled up through the forest, through the trench and continued onward to the angel statue. We then ascended up to the 40' ledge, past the gnome and continued past the big flat top rock with the little rock on top. About 20' away from this rock at the rock where I normally head downward to the pool filters was a ball of hydrilla with lots of fish. After watching the fish a while, we headed past the single pool filter to the 20' drop off and headed back to the plane swimming around the bowl. Several bass on the plane again. We dropped down to the barrel and then angled up the rocks to 15' - 20' to begin a much needed extended safety stop (what's the use of having all those red hash marks on your computer face if you don't use 'em? :D ). I found a lot of anchor line on the rocks. At first I thought someone had snagged the rope that goes from the back of the plane to 20'. I coiled it up and took it back to the plane. However, the rope from the plane was still intact. I stuffed the line I found in the back end of the plane and have plans to use it tomorrow to run it from the plane to another location. Dave and I spent another 8 minutes at 15' to get the pixels where we wanted them.

Saturday's dive: We (5 of us) did two dives today 105' for 1:02 and 84' for 50 min. The second dive was better (less clouds and better light penetration) so I'll share this one. We began our dive with a descent to the 20' drop off and continued to the 40' ledge. Vis was at least 15' on this dive and no lights were needed the whole dive. The 40' ledge was covered with thousands of small fish today. We swam past the gnome statue and down to the angel statue at 54'. From there we entered the trench and swam South along the 65' ledge. We dropped down to the 82' wall. It was nice today in the dim light. At the log with the dive flag, we found that another ball of dead hydrilla that had attached itself to the log. There were many small fish surrounding the log! We then angled upward and began following the cable (from dam construction) at 65'. When we arrived at the three big rocks @ 54', there was another ball of dead hydrilla and lots of fish. We then swam to the plane -lots of bass!!! and then continued up the rocks for an extended safety stop. We have this "game" of toss the large logs and/or stumps which we executed at this point. Large logs and stumps have minimal weight u/w and it is easy to toss them to (read: throw them at) your dive buddies. After such a display of immature behavior, we continued a safety stop swim (15') back over the plane (could see it at 35' below ) and then headed back along the rocks. A large bass had created a mating/spawning area (holllowed out area) at 14' and would not be moved. At 10' we ran into a huge school of shad (read thousands who move in unison) who parted as we went through. So far, a nice dive weekend. Tomorrow, we dive the Savannah River (about 6 of us).

We dove the Savannah River Sunday 4/2/06: 1:35 min. bottom time, 60 degree water temp, 10-12' vis, max depth 21'. We began our dive dropping down to the shipwreck at 15'. We explored the bow, decking, boilers and other remains. We then swam across river to the remains of the old Hamburg docks (at one time Hamburg SC was larger than Augusta; Hamburg was a cotton shipping point on the river). We ran into a large freshwater eel, a large bass before reaching the 5th street bridge. From the bottom, you could look up and clearly see the bridge. One guy found an old wallet - no ID, but several coins the oldest being 1959 (some from the 1930's). On the bottom, I found a large piece of what must have been a fake alligator. I dropped this down into the vision of a couple of folks with good success:D (seemed the vis dropped a little). We saw several turtles, some large carp, and various sunfish/bream. We explored the remains of the old bridge. A great dive and a beautiful day.

Correction: Regarding the coins found in the wallet, the NEWEST was 1959, with several from the 1930's.

:14: Well, we are leaving winter behind. So this will be my last post in "Winter Diving in the South" thread. Next week, I'll start an Augusta, GA dive thread.
Sunday's report:
Clark Hill, AKA Lake Thurmond, was great Sunday. We dove for 53 mintues to 88', vis was 15', water temp was 60 degrees at the surface, 54 at depth. Only three of us today - Something about a golf game in town (The Masters :D ) - Geez, don't those frustrated golfers know what they are missing!!!
There are now three Davids in our dive group with a new addition this weekend. Yell David and everyone responds. How confusing. I wonder what the most common name for a diver is? Anyway, lots of fish today. We began our dive dropping down the 20' dropoff to the 40' ledge. Lots of small fish here. Vis was great. We spent more time here than usual given the amount of fish. We swam past the gnome and dropped down to the angel statue at 54' and then descended through the trench to the 65' ledge. We swam south on this ledge for a bit and then dropped down to the 80 - 90' wall. Vis was great. Our new diver was most impressed. No lights needed the entire dive. Lots of small fish on the log with the dive flag at 85'. We then swam to the "missle" (AKA airplane fuel drop tank with it's new pirate flag addition) at 82'. We angled up to the three big rocks - very nice today, covered with small fish. We then angled south again to the airplane. We dove in and around the plane. For our new diver, I demonstrated the inverted under wing "wing walking routine" - OK, so the plane gets old after a while and you need to develop new ways of enjoying it. After a bit, we ascended up the rocks of the dam for an extended safety stop. We enjoyed seeing the numerous bass "bedding" in a special location in the shallows - the fishermen don't need to know about this location. They seem quite territorial and will actually get in your face if you get too close. Again , a great dive.

hey diveprof where is this at i know lake thurmond
id like to get some info on this dive site your talking
as in do u dive form shore or a boat
can anyone dive this area how to get there etc. we just went to Fl.
and my buddy is ready to get in the water again
so i thought i might talk him into this since its closer and sounds nice

scubanick:
hey diveprof where is this at i know lake thurmond
id like to get some info on this dive site your talking
as in do u dive form shore or a boat
can anyone dive this area how to get there etc. we just went to Fl.
and my buddy is ready to get in the water again
so i thought i might talk him into this since its closer and sounds nice

The site is at the SC side of the dam. Park in the parking lot on the SC side just before you begin to move onto the dam proper heading towards the SC side. If you swim along the rocks at 20' you will find the rope (right on the bottom) that leads to the airplane. The airplane is in 35'. The wing is actually touching the bottom rocks of the dam. We dive most weekends. We are diving Saturday at 9am for our first dive and 11am for the second dive. Just send me a PM if you would like to join us sometime. Just finished a dive with three others tonight. Vis was 10-12' and water temp 55-60 degrees (need hood, gloves, and preferably a 6-7 mill full suit). We dove 112' for 1:07. Our first dive Saturday will be a deeper dive to about 100' or so, second dive will be shallower.

sounds good i will have to get my buddys together and arrange a dive there
as soon as we can...sounds neat ill be in touch when we get ready to head down there thanks for the info

Back
Top Bottom