Winter Dive opportunities near South Texas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PolsVoice

Reaction score
Salut!

I am a new diver and have discovered that it is the perfect sport to mate with my travelling schedule. I am flying down to South Africa in March and hope to do some diving with sharks, however I would like to get a few more hours of dive time under my belt before going down there. I don't have the money (or the training) for a dry-suit and I'm wondering what spots would allow for some winter diving within a 4-6 hour drive of Dallas. I've been trying to find some data on water temperatures this time of year near the coast, but have been unsuccessful. I'm willing to dive in water 60F or warmer.

Thanx in advance,

PolsVoice

I'm afraid you won't find 60º water in SE Texas before sometime in March. The only place I can suggest would be Balmorhea State Park. The natural springs there stay a toasty 76º year 'round.

You can also pop down to the Comal and San Marcos rivers, which stay around 70F. They're on the far edge of your 4-6 hour driving distance though, between Austin and San Antonio. These are river dives, you'll need a pal to pick you up at the exit point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom