Winter 2017 Dive Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Where's a great place to go in early 2017 that won't break the bank? For beginners.

Going to anywhere in the Caribbean -
99 and 44/100% of the time Cozumel will be the overall least expensive locale.
Bonaire is a very good choice IF YOU GET a good price on airfare.
The Caymans as well as the T&C will almost always be the most expensive.

What is your preference for water temperature? Florida, the Bahamas and the Northern Caribbean will be colder at that time of year (low to mid 70s) but the water will be warmer further south (upper 70s to low 80s).

I have never visited Aruba, but I understand that the reefs tend to be rather shallow and that it is a good place for beginners. (I can't say that from experience but I have read that in the past.)

It is a popular vacation destination and you might be able to find reasonable airfares and hotel and dive packages. You will be very far south (similar to Bonaire and Curacao) and the water will be warm.

Curacao is another option you might want to consider but are you comfortable with shore diving? Boat diving is available but shore diving is a popular activity there, and even more so on Bonaire.

Last edited:
I've just thought of something. The last I heard they still had a few spots open for the 2017 ScubaBoard Surge. I don't know if that is still the case.

ScubaBoard is sponsoring a trip to Cayman Brac in January. The price is $1650 US per diver and that includes pretty much everything except your airfare, and the dive shop tip and nitrox if you will be using it. The price covers 3 (very good) meals a day, accommodations, diving, airport transfers, taxes, hotel service charges, and 3 bar drinks per day.

Would that break the bank? This is the peak season all over the Caribbean so prices will be at the highest rate wherever you go - but it sure would be nice to get away from the cold and snow!

Plus you will be staying with a friendly group and that will be pleasant for beginners (and veterans!) The Reef Divers operation is excellent and valet diving services are included which makes things very easy and enjoyable. And the diving is great, there are beautiful deep walls but they start rather shallow in the Caymans. They also have a sunken Russian Frigate wreck dive. The water temperature will be in the mid to upper 70s, I think.

The resort is small and diver-dedicated and it was recently remodeled. They have a small spa, an exercise room, tennis and basketball courts, free use of bicycles, a coin-op laundry, and entertainments like trivia and movies are offered nightly. The island is small and quiet and very pretty and there are wetlands, nature preserves, hiking, climbing, and caving opportunities.

My husband and I will going back to CBBR for the 4th time in October and we can hardly wait!

There is more information about the Surge at the links below in case you are interested.

Scubaboard Surge 2017 Cayman Brac Package Deal

Scubaboard Surge 2017 Central

Last edited:
I did my AOW on St. Croix in the USVI. It's known for having the longest reef in the Caribbean. The walls were very nice (great for deep specialty), I saw various reef sharks, mantas, mobulas, sting rays, eels and barracuda The diving was easy, no current, good vis and relatively warm water. They also had a few wrecks you can dive. The night dive at the pier was spectacular! Seriously, after many night dives I look back and still think "Wow! What a great night dive"! Pylons covered with life plus Frog fish, octopus, seahorse, batfish...etc.

I used S.C.U.B.A. Bluewater adventures, they had a package w/air and everything. Dive Packages | St. Croix Ultimate Bluewater Adventures

Plus I had a great time on the island touring. Make sure you stop in to see the beer drinking pigs!

Anthony's Key extended their buy 1/get 1 into 2017 so that means all-inclusive in a hill superior (AC) room is $1725 for both of you. 3 boat dives/day + 2 night dives/wk. The overwater superior bungalows on the Key are $1979 although winter might be one time I'd try Roatan w/o A/C - the standard rate is about $2-300 less.

A quick check in late Jan shows a Delta flight from MHT for $815 r/t that gets you there by 1pm. Add the 19% Roatan tax and you're somewhere around $2K/pp.

If you tire of the resort, the West End is five minutes by cab away. All the nightlife, most of the shops and other options are there.

Also AKR has the Dolphin dives. 60' on a sandy bottom so well within your skill set. $141pp. And shallow shore diving. Diving on Roatan is better than very good, nice reefs, lots of life, nothing too deep in that area. You have to specifically go looking for higher current dives - mostly around the west point of the island. There's also a shark dive thru a local operator - AKR books it and will take you there.

The north side sometimes catches a storm in winter but AKR has the ability to move boats south and shuttle you over to meet them if that happens.

For a dive vacation, hands down Bonaire is the cheapest for us. At 20 shore dives (175 for unlimited shore dives) each for a one week stay, that's 10 boat dives that are often 90 dollars or more each. And nitrox upgrade is free. If you decide you want boat dives too, there is a package for that.

You can find an inland Condo/apartment for less then a thousand for a week stay. We pay roughly 1200 for a beachfront 1bedroom condo. Then eat most of our meals in. No where else can we dive this "cheap."

What is your preference for water temperature? Florida, the Bahamas and the Northern Caribbean will be colder at that time of year (low to mid 70s) but the water will be warmer further south (upper 70s to low 80s).

I have never visited Aruba, but I understand that the reefs tend to be rather shallow and that it is a good place for beginners. (I can't say that from experience but I have read that in the past.)

It is a popular vacation destination and you might be able to find reasonable airfares and hotel and dive packages. You will be very far south (similar to Bonaire and Curacao) and the water will be warm.

Curacao is another option you might want to consider but are you comfortable with shore diving? Boat diving is available but shore diving is a popular activity there, and even more so on Bonaire.
Kathy,

I looked back and our one trip to Aruba that included some diving averaged about 65 feet in depth, 43 shallowest to 81 deepest. I would not say it was especially good nor bad as far as a new diver. Compare that to Bonaire where I could quite happily dive less then 50 feet the entire week. And there is no comparison between the reefs. The only advantage to Aruba is the topside activites. I love Aruba above the waves, not so much below.

Back
Top Bottom