wings??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
ok i know there are other places i can ask this but i like talking to people that live neer me and i know you guys know what your doin (some of you anyway:D ) so what is this wing thing and how does it differ from a BCD?

Wings are just a variation on the bcd theme. They are simply detachable air bladders that allow the diver to use different amounts of lift depending on the type of diving being done. For instance, in cold water with doubles I'd need a lot more lift than if I was reefdiving in Mexico. So for Mexico I'd use my 27# lift Halcyon shaped to work only with a single tank. For doubles or simply for a situation where I'd need more lead and therefore more lift, I might want a 50# lift wing or even bigger.

Wings can be mounted on either a padded vest just like your normal bcd resulting in a back inflation effect rather than the common wraparound style bladder. These are usually referred to as Tech style bcd's and often have the rear inflation wing style but do not necessarily offer the wing interchangeability feature.

Wings can also be mounted on a padded harness like those offered by Dive Rite or OMS.

The other option is a stainless steel or aluminum plate held in place on your back by webbing like you might use on a weightbelt. The wing is trapped between the tank(s) and the plate. A single tank is held on an adapter by the usual camstraps, and the adapter bolts thru the wing to the plate. With doubles the bolts are simply extensions of the bolts that hold the figure 8 steel tank bands in place.

Does that help?

JF

Wings can also be mounted

I use a Deepoutdoors BC and it has the wings, I like it, But it is also the ONLY BC I have ever used I looked at a SeaQuest vest and was not impressed, as a matter of fact I got rid of it right after I bought it. No do not miss understand, I am not saying it is a Bad Company, but it was out of my Comfort zone so I choose to get rid it. And buy a much more expensive BC you need to use what you feel good in

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom