Wings for a Tiny Guy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ding dang

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Fellas -

I would use the search bar, but I'd really appreciate a more individualized answer!

I'm 5'10, about 150 - I want to toss the generic BC and go with backplate/wings. For right now, I can only see myself diving a single 80AL tank for a while before I upgrade to double 80's, and eventually bigger doubles.

So my questions are... how much lift would be good for me to use with single 80AL tanks? Eventually, how much lift should I get for use with double 80AL tanks?

And also, are double 80AL's frowned upon? Should I instead look for double HP steels?

Thanks yall

A 30lb wing is normally a good choice for a cold water diver with a single tank. You can go with a smaller wing, but it depends on how you distribute your weight.

The whole doubles thing depends on where you are diving, wet or dry, etc... It requires different wings, so I will avoid answering and say only double AL80 are not evil, just not ideal for many cold water divers. Anyway you go, it is an expensive proposition than is best made later when you have more experience.

Hi Fellas -

I would use the search bar, but I'd really appreciate a more individualized answer!

I'm 5'10, about 150 - I want to toss the generic BC and go with backplate/wings. For right now, I can only see myself diving a single 80AL tank for a while before I upgrade to double 80's, and eventually bigger doubles.

So my questions are... how much lift would be good for me to use with single 80AL tanks? Eventually, how much lift should I get for use with double 80AL tanks?

And also, are double 80AL's frowned upon? Should I instead look for double HP steels?

Thanks yall

Avoid "dual purpose" wings. There's a good reason why there are singles wing and doubles wing sold.

The "all in one" wings are huge compromise for either application.

5'10 x 150 is not tiny in my book, we equip a lot of divers smaller than you.

At 5'10 you can use a medium back plate.

Wing capacity is largely a function of the buoyancy of your exposure suit, *NOT* the cylinder you will be using.

Remember divers use Buoyancy Compensators to Compensate for things that change in buoyancy as you descend.

Pretty much the only thing that loses buoyancy as you go deeper is your exposure suit.

Buy a singles rig now. Wait until you know a lot more about your plans for doubles before buying a doubles wing.

If you like me to make a specific recommendation for you let me know.

I'll need to know what your most buoyant exposure suit is.

Tobin

Regarding wing sizing, as a rule of thumb, 30lbs should be plenty for any cold-water diver diving a single tank. 26lbs can also be used but it's borderline.. see the spreadsheet below and run your own numbers. Your size doesn't really enter the equation :wink: the wing needs to do two things:

1-Compensate for the loss of buoyancy in your exposure suit when your tanks are full and still keep you neutral
2-Keep your rig (with the tanks full) afloat on the surface

Which one is the controlling factor depends on your exposure suit and whether you have a weight belt or if all the weight is integrated. I believe a doubles wing will require ~10-20lbs more lift than a single tank configuration depending on your tanks, and even more if you will be carrying stages.

Check out the spreadsheet here:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...ems/158370-ultimate-wing-lift-calculator.html

You want a dedicated single-tank wing, so I would leave the doubles question till later - by then you will have a lot more information and experience to make the call. It really doesn't affect your current purchase. Having said that, here's my take on it just for kicks:

Double AL80s are not evil per se, but you will have less gas for given size and weight compared to steel HPs because of the lower working pressure. And since they'll be ~8lbs positive when empty, you will have to design where your weights go completely differently. Also consider any money you save will probably be eaten up in the form of lower resale value down the line so I wouldn't factor cost into the equation.

Avoid "dual purpose" wings. There's a good reason why there are singles wing and doubles wing sold.

+1 on that advice!

As a general rule, anything designed to do two different things usually does neither very well.

Avoid if you want a single wing use a single wing. if you want to dive doubles then get double wing. Stay away from the hybrids. they don't work well
for a good single wing that will do every take range is the dive rite venture EXP. great wing. For doubles you need to step up the lift power. the venture EXP Wing has 45 pounds/20 kgs of lift and can accommodate up to one 95 ft3/15 L single tank. The trapezoid-shape gives you lift around the hips where it is needed to achieve horizontal trim underwater. Streamlined side panels expand to maximize lift capacity, yet keep a sleek, trim profile reducing drag in the water.

I got some really good info today from Tobin, i would really listen to what he has to say. Regardless if you buy from him or not? Listen to what that man has to say, he is a battery of knowledge!!!

If you like me to make a specific recommendation for you let me know.

I'll need to know what your most buoyant exposure suit is.

Tobin

i'll probably always use my farmer-john/step-in 5mm combo. the only time i've been able to check was in the pool recently - from what i remember, i just sank a teensie bit with lungs filled with 10 pounds, wearing only the suit and booties. i'm not sure if that helps? could you please recommend something for me?

i'll probably always use my farmer-john/step-in 5mm combo. the only time i've been able to check was in the pool recently - from what i remember, i just sank a teensie bit with lungs filled with 10 pounds, wearing only the suit and booties. i'm not sure if that helps? could you please recommend something for me?

Cold water diving in a 5mm suit, burrrrr.

A 5mm suit for a 150 diver could be 10+ positive. My guess is you are a bit negative yourself, so let's say your 5mm suit is +12 lbs.

If your suit is +12 lbs you need a wing of least 12 lbs of capacity to be able to compensate for a fully compressed suit.

A medium SS Back Plate and harness is about -6 lbs and a reg is about -2 and a full al 80 is about -2 lbs. That makes your rig about -10 with a full cylinder and it will provide about 4 lbs of ballast when the tank is empty.

You will need another ~6-8 lbs in a weight belt.

For a 5mm suit and al 80's you can use a very small wing. A 17 will float your rig 17 > 10, and a 17 will be able to compensate for a full compressed 5 mm suit.

I'd suggest going up a size to a 20 or even a 26 as it's likely a 150 lbs diver will be getting cold as your dive times increase and you will be looking for a warmer and more buoyant suit.

Unless you were to use much more buoyant suit you have no need for a 30lbs or larger wing.

Recap:

Medium SS Plate
Torus 26 wing
Hogarthian Harness
(cambands and wedge blocks included)

Tobin

+1 for Tobin being the man when it comes to calculating lift! Me, I just guesstimate, and I often end up with a wing thats' too big.

When you are ready to buy, I'd give serious consideration to calling Tobin up and spending a few minutes chatting with him about your plans, or sending him a PM here on the boards. His gear is top quality.

He's totally right about avoiding a "jack of all trades" wing. Get a wing big enough for you now, and buy another one later. I'll add on here that I think it's a bad idea to sell your singles rig when you buy a doubles wing. Keep it, you'll probably end up diving a single tank again, and regret selling your old gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom