wing sometimes inflates without pushing button

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bassplayer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Went for a dive yesterday and before getting in the water i noticed that my wing was silently and slowly filling.

I disconnected the HP hose, wiggled the inflator button a bit, articulated the QD attachment a few times, put it back on, and was fine for my dive.

I'm going to try soaking the k valve and the qd attachment, anyone have better advice though?

probably a salt crystal formed somewhere in the k valve

spend 3 minutes on youtube watching "inflator k valve service" and you can see how to disassemble it and clean - super easy

you will need this "inflalor service tool scuba", but any scuba shop sould have it or you can buy it for a couple of bucks on aliexpress etc
1716127218193.png

spend 3 minutes on youtube watching "inflator k valve service" and you can see how to disassemble it and clean - super easy

you will need this "inflalor service tool scuba", but any scuba shop sould have it or you can buy it for a couple of bucks on aliexpress etc
View attachment 841926
Or just buy a new one as they are cheap. Make sure you always soak and flush fresh water through the inflator hose connector and K valve after every dive day!

If it is a standard generic inflator, just spend $15 on a spare. Don't dive a sticky inflator, service or swap it first.

Disassemble it and clean it as suggested. If not possible at the time you may be able to clear it with a hot water soak and spray with silicone lubricant around the button and internals. Work the buttons and hook it air to test.

Had this happen In the past to me as well. (Before I knew replacements were inexpensive and easy to perform) Asked my local shop to service it, and after taking a look they replied they couldn’t repair it, couldn’t get a replacement, and offered a 10% discount on a new BCD.

I sourced my own replacement from the internet and now have my gear serviced at the competing shop in town.

If it's a standard inflator, don't bother cleaning or servicing it. Replacements are about the same price as the kit, and if a shop does it, they'll add labor to that.
I was a dealer and never rebuilt them. The kit was like 15 bucks and then I'd have to charge my minimum $15 labor on top of that.
I could put a new one on for 25 total.

thank you very much, will do

thank you very much, will do
Also, since it looks like you are diving in salt water and havent had salt crystal issues before, make sure you always check your dump valve. It is another common spot to have salt crystals building up, and usually it would prevent the valve from closing so your wing wouldn't hold gas when fully inflated.

Simply unscrew the valve, check the inside, and screw it back on, again a super easy check that I would recommend doing especially if you had your wing stored and not used for some time

Also, since it looks like you are diving in salt water and havent had salt crystal issues before, make sure you always check your dump valve. It is another common spot to have salt crystals building up, and usually it would prevent the valve from closing so your wing wouldn't hold gas when fully inflated.

Simply unscrew the valve, check the inside, and screw it back on, again a super easy check that I would recommend doing especially if you had your wing stored and not used for some time
just checked it, nice and clean. but, doesn't hurt to check. I'm normally dilligent with rinsing and running fresh water through the valve and inflator. curious to see what's inside the inflator...

This exact problem happened to me on my recent dive trip. On the boat my wing would inflate without anyone pressing the inflate button. It did this several times but luckily no malfunction underwater. Based on the previous scubaboard threads I replaced the generic inflator. Cut off 2 zip ties, remove hose, put on new inflator, put 2 new zip ties on.

About 320 salt water dives on the inflator without any previous problems. $20 fix.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom