Wing size question and DIR-F

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't imagine needing the 45# wing, but you need to give more info for others to figure out your circumstances. I know my 36# wing will handle a Faber 95 without any problem. You could have easily been grossly overweighted in an OW class. That's almost par for the course. You could have also had a BC with not enough lift, especially if you were grossly overweighted.

I think most divers will find that the 36# wing is the ideal choice for single tank diving in the Midwest. I can't comment on the new Eclipse wings as I have not measured the lift in the water with one of those. In fact, I don't personally know anyone using an Eclipse at this time.

KenMusick:
The halcyon pioneer 36# and 45# are the same profile with the gusseted sides. The 45 just expands more if you need the lift. Why wouldn't I just get the 45 instead of the 36, especially when I'm diving a lp steel tank in fresh water, and I normally sink like a stone(for some reason I'm very negatively buoyant, in my ow I could barely stay on the surface with a full breath.) Any disadvantages tothe 45?? especially with the same profile on the wing??

All help appreciated.

Dan Gibson:
I can't imagine needing the 45# wing, but you need to give more info for others to figure out your circumstances. I know my 36# wing will handle a Faber 95 without any problem. You could have easily been grossly overweighted in an OW class. That's almost par for the course. You could have also had a BC with not enough lift, especially if you were grossly overweighted.
I use the Pioneer 36# here in the PNW with no problems whatsoever. I know that it will float my E8 119, canister light and a 6# backplate (I sometimes also use Faber 95's, but the E8s are defintely a heavier tank), and I've never had any issies with me not being able to float while in it, either. I've also used this setup in the tropics with no problems.

I'm fairly certain Bob (NWGratefulDiver) uses the Oxycheq 40# wing. It is almost the exact same profile as my 36# Pioneer, I wouldn't hesitate recommending the Oxycheq 40# for cold-water use.

Jimmie

kalvyn:
I'm fairly certain Bob (NWGratefulDiver) uses the Oxycheq 40# wing. It is almost the exact same profile as my 36# Pioneer, I wouldn't hesitate recommending the Oxycheq 40# for cold-water use.

Jimmie

I usually use the Oxycheq 45# standard (I own two of them). I have used the 45# Signature series, but prefer the standard because it collapses so nicely (more an issue of packing than performance).

FWIW - I also own a DSS 30# wing which, although not "DIR" due to its horseshoe shape, does provide adequate lift for an 11# backplate, E8-119 cylinder, drysuit, 16# weightbelt, and 250# human.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks for the info guys.

I just don't see any downside to the #45 compared to the 36 since they have the same profile. The only problem could be overkill, but nothing that would actually have a detrimental effect on my diving.

Plus my lds, who I trust extremely, recommended the 45 for me rather than the 36, they had both in stock. I know that I'm probably getting an oms aluminum plate for the singles wing.

Any adivce is always listened to if not heeded.

Thanks,

Ken

Dan Gibson:
Because if you have to ditch weight, you only ditch what you need to. Think back to when you used to see 30 lb belts in OW class. Lose a belt that has all your ditchable weight and you may become a missle. That example is an exagerated, but you should get the point. If properly weighted and using the correct undergarments (i.e thinsulate that doesn't compress or lose all buoyancy when a drysuit floods), you should only have to have ditchable weight equal to the weight of the gas in the tanks. For a single tank diver wearing an AL80, that should only amount to about 6 lbs being ditchable.

I agree that a 30lb weight belt is not a good idea, but when you said you "wouldn't put all the ditchable weight on a belt" I thought you were suggesting splitting the "ditchable" weight up between a weight belt and something else such as "ditchable" integrated weights.

CALI68:
Great choice! You will love DIR F and taking it as a beginning diver is SUCH a plus! They won't have to fix years of bad habits.

E-mail all of your gear questions to your instructor to be.

After checking with my Instructor, I bought the Eclipse 40 for my single rig (PST E7100's) and the Explorer 55 for my doubles (PST E7 100s)

A couple of guys in my DIR-F class had an Explorer 55 wing and replaced it with a 44 one after the course. Especially with doubles, the width of the wing is more important than the volume. You want it to be big enough to fold around the tanks, but not so big that it will extend above it.
So it depends on the size and width of your doubles

I really just mean don't dump it all in one shot. The weight I would have integrated into the rig is not really ditchable.

WQFTruckster:
I agree that a 30lb weight belt is not a good idea, but when you said you "wouldn't put all the ditchable weight on a belt" I thought you were suggesting splitting the "ditchable" weight up between a weight belt and something else such as "ditchable" integrated weights.

WQFTruckster:

30lb belt? holy ****, what are you trying to sink? with a 7mm wetsuit, full length hood, SS bplate, light and faber steel 85, I have 8 on the belt and think I might be able to ditch 2 of that. I only weigh 160 ish tho.

I don't think he actually said he had a 30# belt. That was an exaggerated example although it does sound like he is overweighted.

limeyx:
30lb belt? holy ****, what are you trying to sink? with a 7mm wetsuit, full length hood, SS bplate, light and faber steel 85, I have 8 on the belt and think I might be able to ditch 2 of that. I only weigh 160 ish tho.

limeyx:

All of this is hypothetical as I have not yet purchased the equipment being discussed. I don't have a 30lb belt, I was simply agreeing with an earlier post that 30lb on a weight belt is not smart...if the belt was ditched (or dropped), you would most likely be rocketing to the surface uncontrollably.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom