Wing Size Guess

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gr8jab

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

I'm moving from a SeaQuest Malibu to a travel BP/W. I plan on getting the basic AL H-backplate, single piece harness (no pads or extra insulation), but keeping my normal kit (light/reg/camera/knife stuff).

I've been using the Ulitmate Lift Calculator to optimize the wing size.

One of the quandaries I have is estimating my new weights. I'm very large, and have a lot of natural buoyancy. With a 3mm shorty, I use 14lbs of lead with the Malibu.

So far I assume the SeaQuest Malibu was +2lbs, and the new BP/W is -4lbs. I'm therefore assuming I could drop 6lbs (from 14lbs to 8lbs of lead). Are these numbers OK?

Numbers on the aluminum plate look a little high. Maybe realistically - 2 lbs. You could add a steel tank and drop another 6. Then you would need little to no weight.

Edit: or a weighted (blue H) sta instead of steel tank.

So far I assume the SeaQuest Malibu was +2lbs, and the new BP/W is -4lbs. I'm therefore assuming I could drop 6lbs (from 14lbs to 8lbs of lead). Are these numbers OK?

Maybe, maybe not. I dropped 2 lbs going from rental jackets to Alu plate.

Maybe the answer is because you are gonna fly with it, but why not get a heavier SS plate if you are that buoyant.

Maybe the answer is because you are gonna fly with it, but why not get a heavier SS plate if you are that buoyant.

Yup. Flying. Al backplate, Al tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom