Wing nuts or lock nuts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Geez, fellas, if you want to be sure, ya gotta double-nut 'em, tighten 'em up 'til they just start to strip, go back a quarter turn, and then *weld* 'em. Everything *else* is just taking a chance. Isn't it? Here, hold my beer while I show ya...

For backmounted doubles anything more than flat washers and wingnuts is just silly. They don't come loose (as in "off"), as long as they were well-snugged before the dive. They might be less than finger tight; but seriously, folks, nothing is going to make the things rotate seven or more times to come off while you're diving. Not even one of them, much less both of them.

this is what i was thinking too...what is coming loose for people? The wing nuts that sit facing your back? I have locked nuts on the opposite side of the back mount but the side facing me is wing nuts. I break gear down and assemble it way too much to need a wrench every time and I've never had a wing nut come off/even close to coming off any dive ever. Yeah you have to tighten them before splashing but they never come close to coming off mid dive.

NASA and the USAF both did studies on the efficacy of lock washers.
If I ever want to put a backplate on a shuttle or B-2 Spirit, I'll be sure to worry about them! :D :D :D

Back-mounted doubles: flat washer and wing nut or whatever is on the tanks. I use the following 1/4" hex drive on my Ryobi to speed wingnuts down. They are about $6.50 on Amazon:

41yZt1Ma6aL._AC_US218_.jpg

Back-mounted Single: Many times I am using a Sex bolt SS or nylon. I don't need o-rings, but I don't pull them out

SF2 Rebreather: I actually use SS button bolts with Loctite.

I use a combo; Dive Rite Stainless Steel Assembly Screws for my bladder, and Dive Rite Delrin Scalloped Thumbwheels for my STA. Love the Delrin Thumbwheels; rock solid.

Stainless-Assembly-Screws_HW1069PAIR_Angle-View.jpg

Delrin-Scalloped-Thumbwheels_GM1040_Angle-View.jpg

I use the Dive Rite delrin thumb wheels mentioned a few posts up on the STA for my BP/W. I take it all apart after each diving day so I can easily dump water out of bladder.

I have the delrin thumb wheels as well, the DSS ones and the DGX ones. Both work well, but I occasionally have to snug them up slightly. They never come loose though.

I have found that packing the TIG welder and grinder for assembly/disassembly usually puts my luggage over the weight limit.:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom