Wing Lift For Double Hp100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bigeclipse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I know this can be a loaded question and depends on a variable of things but im trying to get a general idea of what I should be looking for as far as lift capacity is concerned. I will not be diving with a canister light but I will be eventually diving with two stage bottles (probably 40cu stages) if that will impact anything. Thanks!

My 40lb explorer is. fine for twin 12s (approximately hp100s), an ali 7, and an ali 80.

you have 16lbs of gas to compensate for in the 100's, plus 15lbs buffer for your head if you're diving in open water, and about 6lbs of gas in the 40's, so 36lbs minimum. If you're diving dry, a 40lb wing should be more than sufficient
DeepSeaSupply - Product Detail

If you're diving wet, then I'd want more lift due to wetsuit compression

you have 16lbs of gas to compensate for in the 100's, plus 15lbs buffer for your head if you're diving in open water, and about 6lbs of gas in the 40's, so 36lbs minimum. If you're diving dry, a 40lb wing should be more than sufficient

thanks...is there any downfall with going with a 50 or 55lb lift wing? I am diving dry FYI and do both fresh and salt water.

For double HP100 + one AL80, a ~40-45lb wing will suffice. When you advance to larger tank, more stages, then get yourself a 55-60lb at that time. A too big of wing will just make diving more difficult.. Tech diving is expansive, a wing, a regulator are really much in the grand scheme. So try to save money by buying a do it all wing really doesn't make sense

You already have 15 spare pounds, why bother going for a zeppelin? If it's that cold that you need a 7mm, might as well dive dry, much more comfortable. If it's a 5mm, you're not losing over 15# of compression I'd say.

the downfalls especially with HP100's are that the bigger wings are designed for 8" tanks, which while it may not sound like a lot, the big wings wrap around the skinny tanks quite a bit more which can make air transfer a bit interesting. Not the worst thing that can happen, but it isn't ideal.
What exposure protection are you wearing? That will have more of an impact than the tanks. If you're in a 7mm farmer john, the 42lb wing is barely enough due to suit compression, so I would bump up to the 49lb, but not the 60lb. If you're in a drysuit, then it's less severe. I use the head because it is usually more than the suit will compress, however not always, as is the case with say a XXL 7mm farmer john

double steel + wetsuit!!!! bad combination to begin with. Especially 7mm thick wetsuit, even worse. If you need double hp100, your bottom time is long enough, 7mm wetsuit is just not the right choice for thermal protection point of view.

double steel + wetsuit!!!! bad combination to begin with. Especially 7mm thick wetsuit, even worse. If you need double hp100, your bottom time is long enough, 7mm wetsuit is just not the right choice for thermal protection point of view.
There have been some horrible multiple fatality accidents involving steel doubles, thick wet suits and deep diving. Don't do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom