Wing Issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NC is really warm, both on the deck of the boat and in the water.... I can't blame him on not wanting to dive dry.

Well I dive dry in FL and Mexico and I cant see NC being any hotter or more humid than that.

Do you really need 2 al40s? You have what 15mins of deco? I would do that on a single 40 of 50%.
How much lead are you carrying?

@rjack321 cave diving is one thing, but right now the water in NC is in the mid 80's. No way in hell I'd dive dry with 90+heat and humidity to match.
I agree with ditching the second AL40 though, they're useless as stage bottles and surprisingly heavy. Only half a pound lighter than an AL80 when full and a good 5lbs negative when full with regulator and rigging, that certainly isn't helping.

this might be the one use case where the dual bladder dive rite superwing may be appropriate.

At 130 ft for 40 minutes I’m looking at 20 minutes of deco, with two different deco gasses.

But defiantly could drop the 02 bottle for an 80 with EAN50.

Unfortunately i found myself in a situation a few years ago where my stage bottles, were what kept me safe, when a dive went very, very wrong. I’m now very hesitant to dive without bailout gas, or deco bottles.

@Graveyarddiver you have doubles for a reason I assume, so the stage bottles should not be used to get you out of a shituation. Isolators are wonderful things and you can feather a valve until you hit the stop depths for 50%. If you had 50% in that bottle you can usually get up to 70ft or arguably 90ft if you had to switch on the way up. Run the deco plans, the 100% isn't going to get you much.
I have 38mins of deco on backgas, 22mins with O2, and 27mins with 50%. I'll take the 50% every day of the week in the ocean

By my math, you could probably get something approximating 35 minutes on the bottom at 130' in double 80s and retain enough reserve gas to get to your 70' stop in an emergency OOG situation with a buddy. Works out to about a 900 psi reserve to share up to 70' and 2100 useable on the bottom. I'd use 50% as a deco gas so I could switch earlier if I needed to and wouldn't bother bringing O2 for that amount of deco. That puts you much closer to a balanced rig and probably negates the need for a new wing or a drysuit.

I ended up spending 15 unplanned minutes on the bottom, and in a tight spot, that reserve starts to deplete rapidly. Add to the chaos, that the hook came off the wreck at the tie in point, doing a deco on an emergency up-line. Was not a fun thing, but i came out with roughly 700PSI for my primary gas, and completed deco on deco bottles. Could I have made a save ascent on my main mix, yes, it would have been tight, the deco gas added a lot of confidence to a very lousy situation.

Agreed, O2 is very limiting in shituations, at this point carrying it has been a force of habit, and to match gas with the people I dive with.

15 mins over planned on the bottom? what up with that?
That would be interesting to discuss....
Entanglement? Lost in a cave system? Rescuing somebody?
Do you have a near miss thread about this?

Thanks

@rjack321 cave diving is one thing, but right now the water in NC is in the mid 80's. No way in hell I'd dive dry with 90+heat and humidity to match.
I agree with ditching the second AL40 though, they're useless as stage bottles and surprisingly heavy. Only half a pound lighter than an AL80 when full and a good 5lbs negative when full with regulator and rigging, that certainly isn't helping.
I dive mediterranean sea on deck even 40 degrees (C which is 104F) usually 35 this season and water up to 26 surface but dropping to 14 or 12 at depth. So I dive dry. It is doable.

Just need to manage the heat:
Wear it possibly in the shade
Wet it asap keep it wet
Once on dive spot jump in the water
Kit up and jump in the water
Wait for buddy other divers guide in the water and on the shady side of the boat or even better a 6 mt doing the cells checks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom