Wing Cover Repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hondo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just picked up a new (or at least it was new) Mares XR BP&W. The release date of the Mares XR Battle Blue was 2019. When I got the wing it was clean and odor free. The harness did not have any marks and the plate was perfect. Nothing would otherwise show that it was used or even been in water.

I went through my OW cert dives and we did a lot of full inflates for some of the skills.

After day 1 the wing cover split at the seam. Can I repair this or is there a place that will?

The bp&w was bought on eBay from the US.

Attachments

• C5EACA7A-77D4-41D8-8C10-ABDBF63B32AB.jpeg
    C5EACA7A-77D4-41D8-8C10-ABDBF63B32AB.jpeg
    116.3 KB · Views: 80
I'm a textile engineer and help design fabrics like that. That fabric is not repairable. You will need to purchase a new cover if Mares won't replace it under warranty.

I just picked up a new (or at least it was new) Mares XR BP&W. The release date of the Mares XR Battle Blue was 2019. When I got the wing it was clean and odor free. The harness did not have any marks and the plate was perfect. Nothing would otherwise show that it was used or even been in water.

I went through my OW cert dives and we did a lot of full inflates for some of the skills.

After day 1 the wing cover split at the seam. Can I repair this or is there a place that will?

The bp&w was bought on eBay from the US.
Hi, any / bag /suitcase / marine interior/ repair store will do it

Get some 1100D Cordura or 1680D Ballistic Nylon on ebay and find someone in your hometown with a sewing machine and some repair/tailor skills and get a new cover made. Cheapest fastest option. Ballistic Nylon will last you a very very very long time.

VR

Roland

The same exact thing happened to my wife's Mares XR wing just about the first time she inflated it at the surface in Bonaire. Mares agreed to replace under warranty (which took about 2 months after we returned it) but I had to "MacGyver" repair the cover to get her through the vacation week and it worked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom