Wing capacity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DanL

Registered
Reaction score
Have read some previous posts - feel I would need somewhere between a 27 and 36 lb Pioneer. Any advice appreciated - esp from the venerable UP...

Dive Caribbean to ice diving, but mostly lakes 40 to 70F water
Typical depth 100ft max
Weigh 160, 5'7
Current BC - Cressi 109
Considering Halcyon Pioneer, SS BP (or AL?), integral STA
Use 6-8# with 3 mil and AL80
Use 16-18# with one-piece 7mil, 3/5 vest/hood and AL80
Use 24-26# with DUI TLS350, heaviest undies and AL80

Plan to dive wrecks in Lake Superior w/ drysuit , steel 90, to 150'max.

Seems the 27 would be just enough - and soooo sleek.

Advice? Thanks!

DanL once bubbled...
Have read some previous posts - feel I would need somewhere between a 27 and 36 lb Pioneer. Any advice appreciated - esp from the venerable UP...

Dive Caribbean to ice diving, but mostly lakes 40 to 70F water
Typical depth 100ft max
Weigh 160, 5'7
Current BC - Cressi 109
Considering Halcyon Pioneer, SS BP (or AL?), integral STA
Use 6-8# with 3 mil and AL80
Use 16-18# with one-piece 7mil, 3/5 vest/hood and AL80
Use 24-26# with DUI TLS350, heaviest undies and AL80

Plan to dive wrecks in Lake Superior w/ drysuit , steel 90, to 150'max.

Seems the 27 would be just enough - and soooo sleek.

Advice? Thanks!
The 27# won't float 27# in saltwater much less fresh. Get the 36# if you are planning on steel. From my perspective your wing should be able to float the rig with a full tank.

Hey Unky Pugster

Since you were nudged into this thread, what can you tell me about a Halcyon 65lb wing, approx 2 years old? I can't find any mention of a 65lb wing anywhere...

Cave Diver once bubbled...
what can you tell me about a Halcyon 65lb wing, approx 2 years old?
45/55/65 were shaped more like a horse's shoe...
New denominations are 40/55/70 and the wing is shaped more like a horse shoe (the kind you throw.)

That is... the old ones were more rounded and the newer ones are straighter on the sides and have a narrower crossover at the top.

The new ones also have the flattened corrugated hose that connects more toward the center of the back of the wing to keep from hitting the left post when full. Also the inflator is different... the inflate button as well as the mouthpiece are both on the inside.

Also the older new ones had rubber innertubing under the zipper to protect the bladder and the newer new ones have a wide strip of ballistic nylon.

Something to think about.
I use a Dive-rite Rec wing with single aluminum tanks. (aprox 50 LB lift).
This is more than I need for normal bouyancy compensation.
I am an instructor and I spend a lot of time in the water with newbies. It takes about 25 lbs lift to keep your head above water (that's what it weighs). If you add the load of a buddy in distress, you might want increase the size of your wing to provide more foatation on the surface. I've used the rec wing on double aluminums and it's ok. Aluminums are almost neutral in the (neutral) water when full.
Steels are another issue. My double 98 LP steell tanks are about 12 lbs negative, and I find the rec wing too small, so I have a larger wing for them.

Mike D
:blfish:

Back
Top Bottom