Windy Point Park, Austin Texas (Information Needed)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bosshogg357

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm doing my advanced open water certification this weekend (Saturday & Sunday) at Windy Point Park. I am not familiar with the area. Any info would really be appreciated.

I read some stories about the windsurfer who was killed and the troubles with the Jet Ski launch and I am just trying to get as much info before I get there so I will know what to look out for.
Thanks!

bosshogg357:
I'm doing my advanced open water certification this weekend (Saturday & Sunday) at Windy Point Park. I am not familiar with the area. Any info would really be appreciated.

I read some stories about the windsurfer who was killed and the troubles with the Jet Ski launch and I am just trying to get as much info before I get there so I will know what to look out for.
Thanks!

I have visited Windy Point a few times in the last couple of years and have never personally had any major problems. The entry/exit stairs are in a safe area, as are the platforms.
You will hear the boats/jet skis overhead as you dive. The Lake is really like a canyon, you will see it slope as you descend. So the deeper you go, the further "out" into the Lake you will be. I always dive with the safety sausage just in case I had to surface in an emergency out where the boats are.

I am assuming your instructor has been there before and will most likely be a good source of info.

I was just there last weekend and the water was pleasantly warm, about 82 at surface, thermocline at about 40ft. I remember seeing it hit 69 degrees a couple of times, at about 70-75ft.

The vis wasn't great, but got better further away from the stairs where we were all churning the water. I also needed my small flashlight, anything past 70ft and I would have wanted a bigger light.

We love Windy Pt., it's a nice place. You might want to bring along something that provides shade and some camp chairs, ice chest, etc. if your dive shop isn't providing that already. There are some big shade trees but those areas fill up quickly.

I am sure some others will jump in with more thoughts. Sorry to make this so long, I hope it helps. Good luck to you.

Let us know how your class goes.

Dive Safe!!

-MD

There are 2 Wendy Point parks. One is the State run park, and the other is the dive park side. Not sure which one you are refering to. But the State park side looks like it has been turned into a launch site for boats/jetskis. The dive park side has a few sets of stairs and lots of platforms and sunk stuff to look at and its only used by divers. So hopefully you are going to the dive park side.

OK, for Starters it is Windy Point Private. “Wendy Point” is a screw-up (one of many) by divie training magazine.

The Public side is called “Bob Wentz Park”
Web http://www.co.travis.tx.us/tnr/parks/bob_wentz.asp

The Private side is called “Windy Point.”
Web- http://www.windypointpark.com/

The parks sit side by side and the only difference is when you turn left off the main road you have a choice of turning right for the Private Park or continue down a small street to the public park called “Bob Wentz Park.”

Windy Point is really a neat park and does not get enough credit for what it has available.

For starters the down side. Toilets are porta-potties guys don’t usually care but it is nice to advise the ladies. There is no fresh water to drink on site. The showers are lake water, and there is limited shade. If you don’t mind a bit of a walk no problem; otherwise yes bring a sun shade. If you camp at the end of the point- you are risking your tent I have had two destroyed. I can say from experience that when storms blow up the best place to be is under the trees. Out at the point the wind screams across the lake and you are the first thing it hits.

Ok, the good news. This environment is great with kids playing in the water, jumping off the rocks and in general a very safe and open environment. I have left gear out- gone to dinner and it is all there when I returned. The staff is very curiosity and helpful. They go out of their way to help with specific needs- including a TV that is left on in the evenings if you want to see what the local weather radar is doing- great help. When you check in get an underwater map, and you can see whats out there. The site is marked off from all boat traffic so no problems. You cannot drive your car out into the park- instructors only. So they provide carts and you load everything into the cart. If you are spending the weekend bring a big cooler and lots of ice. Less trips back and forth.

My biggest complaint used to be access to a grocery store or anything since the site is secluded- a couple of years ago they opened a HEB nearby and in the same shopping area is a Starbuck (Hey you have to have priorities). This is the intersection of (Ranch Road 2222 and Fm 620 Rd N) also you will see a little Taco Stand across from the 7/11 store on the west side of the intersection. It is awesome for a breakfast taco and if you have kids they just think it is the neatest. They make the Tacos right in front of you… That’s one of those little things that makes something like this a blast.

The Road down Windy Point is very curvy and the first time down I would suggest taking your time. Great view!

Have fun, and enjoy the adventure.
Andrew.

To add what Crazyduck said, I have been to Windy Point Park many times, our shop is there alot. Some locals call the place Barstows after the owner. The downside is hawling equipment in the carts, but most of the area is grass, lots of picnic tables, but you have to get there early to get shade under the trees.
More upside, Richard works hard to keep the place clean and groomed. Port-a-poties, but that beats doing it in your wetsuit. Showers, ice, drinks. Richard can provide air fills, it's slow fill, but that beats the drive back to a dive store. Several stairs for easy entry, LOTS of fish, several u/w boats and metal statues.
Have a great time and enjoy the experience of your Advanced course!

Sometimes we camp but most of the time we stay at the local LaQuinta in Round Rock. It's nice to get a hot shower and a decent bathroom, but it will run you a $100. The grounds are nice and clean. Richard does a good job keeping the grounds. It is kind of cool when he visits the campsites and tells a few stories late at night if you do decide to camp. When you get done for the weekend, pack all your gear up and THEN go get a cart. :wink:

Thanks, Boss (may I call you Boss?), for starting this thread, and all who've participated.

I plan to go to Wendy Point next Saturday (25th) to work on skills with a friend of mine. We're both locals, and plan on heading out there in the morning and getting in a couple of dives.

However, I might be able to talk the wife into a campout. Problem is we hate camp grounds where there are obnoxious drunks with loud radios. To those of you who've camped at Wendy Point, and how has your experience been? How crowded does it get?

If there are any other SBers planning on being there Saturday the 25th let me know. I would love to meet you.

Question: I did a quick google search and couldn't find a web site for the private park. Is there one? What's the admission price?

Thanks, again.

Try this for more information and rates:

http://www.windypointpark.com/info.htm

I have camped there about 5 times out of the 20 or so times of going down there over the last 7 years. There is always one group of late night drinkers but they stay pretty quiet ( except if they have that one guy that just HAD to bring his guitar!) . I still prefer camping at La Quinta....... :eyebrow:

I'd just lake to share some aquired knowledge for my trips to the park. First off don't let the outside and surface temp fool you, the water underneith is still very cold. Even in July I would still wear a 5mm full suit and a hooded vest. Next point: if you go deep enough or the lake is low enough you will eventually go past the buoys. With that in mind take great care if you have to ascend from depth. And finally make sure you are wearing booties or shoes at all times, the ground is filled with little prickley things.

Back
Top Bottom