Windjammer Cruises

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brown Mermaid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just booked a trip on the Windjammer Barefoot Cruise for Sept. 11-17 on the Polynesia. They cover the ABC islands (Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao). Typically not a liveaboard but they advertise this as the best itinerary for diving. Sooooo has anyone done this cruise? :06:

Brown Mermaid:
I just booked a trip on the Windjammer Barefoot Cruise for Sept. 11-17 on the Polynesia. They cover the ABC islands (Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao). Typically not a liveaboard but they advertise this as the best itinerary for diving. Sooooo has anyone done this cruise? :06:

Brown Mermaid,

I have done two "tours" on the Polynesia, though not to the ABC's. Are you specifically interested in knowing about the Windjammer vibe or the ABC's themselves? We were scheduled to do that itinerary last year (late September) on the Legacy but, a couple of miles out of port, the Legacy took on water and we had to return and get on the Polynesia instead.

Actually the vibe and the diving. Did you dive? How was the boat? Room to move around in? How were the rooms? I've been on the Blackbeard and the Aqua Cat, these were specific dive boats, so I'm used to cramped quarters. Who's going to be in the room anyway.

I've been and dove Aruba and Bonaire. Can't wait to get to Bonaire, I've friends there, just don't know when we get there. How long do they stay in port? Any info you have would be good to me, even if I already know it. :D

Thanks!

keytofreedom:
Brown Mermaid,

I have done two "tours" on the Polynesia, though not to the ABC's. Are you specifically interested in knowing about the Windjammer vibe or the ABC's themselves? We were scheduled to do that itinerary last year (late September) on the Legacy but, a couple of miles out of port, the Legacy took on water and we had to return and get on the Polynesia instead.

The ship is gorgeous - beautiful old wood, gleaming brass. If you're into classic old sailboats you'll love it. The captain is awesome, although I think he's taking vacation time sometime in the near future. If Casey is there, please tell him Peggy (one of Chris Cargen's girls) said hello. (Chris is the husband of my good friend and was brave enough to do this sail with three women.)

I've done the Blackbeard and you'll have way more in the way of conveniences. (Your own toilet and shower for one thing) The berths are small, but ample. You DON'T have to trip over your luggage, which is good.

I don't know how old you are, but the crowd is generally older than you'll find on a liveaboard dive boat. They're usually a little off-beat, but if you're like me, you like that.

I did dive on the last trip, although no one else in my party of four was a diver. This is definitely not a dive boat. They have shore excursions just like a cruise ship. If you're interested in something, you sign up and they arrange for a dive operator to take you. There were probably only about six or seven divers on the Polynesia last year. One day, there were only two of us who wanted to dive and they cancelled the excursion because not enough people were interested. That sucked.

They do something that is irritating to me....silly games and costume nights, etc. If you like that sort of thing, you'll be pleased. If not, you really don't have to participate, but the pressure is there to do so. Take a costume of some sort because many of the passengers are repeat customers and are WAY prepared, although I believe the tradition started out as a "find whatever you can and make a costume out of it" (resulting in many toga bedsheet outfits).

They didn't stay in port long, although, like I said, I haven't done the ABC itinerary. On mine, we had more ground to cover, so maybe you will have more down time. We never stayed more than a day and a half anywhere.

Do take advantage of the shore excursions like guided nature hikes and village walks (bar tours actually). They're fun and educational.

As long as you go with the "island" mentality that you always need in the Carribbean, you should have fun on the Windjammer. No worries.

If you want to know anything specifically, don't hesitate to ask.

Brown Mermaid:
Actually the vibe and the diving. Did you dive? How was the boat? Room to move around in? How were the rooms? I've been on the Blackbeard and the Aqua Cat, these were specific dive boats, so I'm used to cramped quarters. Who's going to be in the room anyway.
The Poly was originally a Portuguese fishing boat, I believe, but I cannot find her history right now. She is still a flat bottom barque, but has been transformed into a comfy vessel. Compared to Blackboards, you'll feel like you are on a luxury yacht.

edit - remember her name and found this....
Built in 1938, ARGUS was one of the last of the great Portuguese Grand Banks fleet. Polynesia was featured in the May 1952 edition of National Geographic magazine and in the late maritime writer, Allen Villers’ book, “The Quest for the Schooner Argus.” This legendary 248-foot schooner was acquired by Windjammer in 1975 and christened POLYNESIA.

Here's a link to the company's description with room and deck info here

I doubt that you will ever have full sails up, as the uppers probably won't be bothered with, but you can get postcards of her at full sail.

We went on the ABC itenerary in Sept. 2003. We did a nice shore dive in Curacao and then two mornings of boat diving in Bonaire (2 dives each a.m.). They arranged all of our diving with local dive shops. In Curacao, I think there were 3 divers and one DM total. Several more in Bonaire, but no more than 8 on our dive boat.

We stayed two nights in Curacao and then woke up in Bonaire one morning and stayed one night, but didn't leave until 3:00 or so in the afternoon. I liked the longer ports of call on this itenerary. On one of the afternoons in Bonaire, we did take a tour of the island (on buses) which was pretty interesting - flamingos, salt mines and slave huts - oh, and the little parrots that are only found on Bonaire.

The boat was very laid back. Some quirky sorts but we had fun. There were only 120 or so on board with us - we were on the Legacy.

This is just the info I needed from people who have actually done this cruise line. I think I meet the age requirements (hint-my children are grown and gone, amen, thank you jesus :D ) I just need some time to myself where I'm actually on vacation and not arranging the vacation for others as well. It will be just me. YES!!! Chillin'

I have a friend in Bonaire, and she is looking forward to seeing me if only for a day. I may do some excursions but seriously Curacao is the only island i have been to before.

All of you that answered were right on the money for me. Thanks! What a great resource. Will let you know how things went when I get back. Oh, I don't do costumes. Hate them in fact. :crafty:

In more info you got for me, I would be glad to hear, uh, read it.

Oh, I don't do costumes. Hate them in fact.
I just wore a robe with t-shirt on my head, the Poly Pharaoh. :150: I mooned the judges :mooner: and won first prize, or booby prize maybe? :kissbutt: Mooning larger cruise ships is also allowed.

We (my non-diving wife and 20-year old daughter) will be cruising the US & British Virgin Islands on the Windjammer Legacy, Dec 25-31. I understand the Legacy will have a dive pro/crew member of some sort on board, who I presume will coordinate with local dive operators. Has anybody had any experience with the Legacy from a diver's perspective? Any comments will be appreciated.

The week before we will be at a resort hotel on St. Thomas and I am reserving several days with Chris Sawyer, including The Wreck of the Rhone on Friday, December 23rd.:D

Back
Top Bottom