Willow Beach & Ringbolt Rapids

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mohave_steve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I had the oportunity to dive Ringbolt Rapids (3-4 miles downstream from Hoover Dam)
with Doug from Desert Divers Supply and Lake Mead Scuba Charters.

Had a FANTASTIC time. The best freshwater dive I have done yet and my first real drift dive. I would highly recommend this dive to anyone considering diving in Lake Mead NRA.

Vis: 15-40+
Water Temp: 56F
Current: 4-8kts (Guestimate)
Depth: Up to 63' with most of the dive at 20-40'
Booty: Tackle box, 12"kitchen knife, sun glasses (yes I am going to wear them!), binoculars, fishing pole, EZ-Up etc.....

Thanks again Doug for the invitation. We had a great time and can't wait to do it again.

:D

Sounds like a lot of fun... would love to try it sometime....

Great Fun!

National Parks Service does not allow commercial/charter activity after Sept 1 but we
can take a private or rental boat up except Sunday & Monday.

Anyone want to go?

How far is it up to that area... I live in the Phoenix Valley on the east side...

I might have some guys that would want to make that dive...Two or three....Would need to know if we could do a Friday???? and approximate cost???

Ron,

Phoenix to Willow beach is about 4.5 hours. 240 miles.
Lat time I rented a boat on Lk. Mohave from the same outfit that runs Willow Beach it was $125 for the day plus fuel. I will get current rates.
As to the day of the week I think a Friday would be great as Saturdays see more boat traffic and that stretch is closed to power boats completely on Sundays.

Steve

We could come up on Thursday spend the night....and then meet you at a given location...we would need some one on the boat to spot us....can we get some one to do that or should we try to find a boat op???

We would need someone on the boat as National Parks Service does not allow commercial/charter activity after Sept 1.

Ok... Understand that....

Do you know where we could stay??? Motel, hotel, tent LOL??? We would bring our tanks...but is there a place to get them filled if we want to do more dives???

I have at least one dive buddy that wants to come up named Justin, and I might be able to get one more... We may need to have one of us man the boat on a dive and then alternate boat tenders, for another run down the river...

A 7mil wet suit, hood, gloves etc would be fine in that temp...does it get colder or is the river pretty much in the 50's in Sept, and Oct???

Water temp is fairly constant 52-57. I Dive 7mil w/hood and I am comfortable in the water. Out of the water is another story. It was 116 last week. Afer the second dive I stayed in the water until everyone else was ready to go.

Motel/Hotel: Kingman - 55 miles South & prety much on your way or Boulder City 20 miles beyond Willow Beach.

Dive Shop: http://coloradoriverdivers.com also in Boulder City

I may be able to bring spare tanks.

Ok....Tell us what we can expect.... If we come on a Thursday...we would like to do may be an early evening dive somewhere...and then Friday do the dives with you down the river...Can we do two-three dives down the river??? We can bring 4 tanks each and if we could get fills in Boulder City we could do more dives...but I need to know what you think we could get done on the Thursday-Friday???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom