Willing to Lay it All Out There...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Tomorrow I have my first two OW dives with Ben at MAD. I plan to share with you all my experiences, whether amazingly cool or incredibly embarrassing. My hope is to do my first two tomorrow, my final two on Friday (Thursday I'm committed to doing family stuff), and then I REALLY want to dive a few more times if possible, plus get a chance for my wife and sister in law to get their discovery dives in. Time just seems so dang short. Hopefully, the weather will cooperate this week.

Good to hear! What we need more of is honest critiques. If there are things that you think could be improved, first, tell the owner of the op. Then feel free to post your opinions. That way the op is not blind-sided by something that could have been resolved.

Wish I was diving with you....it is still freezing up here with snow. At least you escaped that!

I hope you have great weather!

Great first afternoon on Wednesday. I will say, ocean diving is VERY different than the pool. The funny thing is that the surface is the craziest and scariest part. Once you descend, it's a blast!

So I have to say I love the personal service of MAD. Marcella picked me up at my hotel and then Ben greeted me. We were on a boat with a ton of young guys doing a resort dive, and they were pretty worn out and seasick, it looked like. The Bonine seemed to do the trick for me. There were at least two other DMs, and Ben pretty much did stuff with me during the dives.

The first dive was a little rough, but by the time I got to the second, I settled down a bit. Buoyancy control was a bit better, and I used a lot less air the second dive. Almost all the skills are done, except for fin pivot (never had to do a manual BCD inflate for the fin pivot, so I wonder how hard that will be at 50 or 60 feet), and surface BCD and weight removal and replacement.

Again, the surface stuff is hard for me. My mask is usually impossible to see thru (but fine under water) and the salt taste hits you in a major way when you surface. Not bad at all when you are under.

We were supposed to go this morning, but 17mph winds were not cooperating, so hopefully things will work out tomorrow.

So, highlights...Some cool marine life, especially second dive. It's funny how I think it is going to get better and better. When I was starting, you sort of have tunnel vision, and I just had to relax and force myself to slow down and look at stuff! It actually helped to really follow Ben around, although he was probably getting sick of his fins nearly hitting me all the time. What was cool, is imitating what he was doing sort of let me naturally change depths, etc instead of focusing on that. I liken it to when I snowboard. When I was starting, I would follow a better boarder down the hill, and then I wouldn't have to concentrate on my turns.

What's funny is that I didn't even think about being able to swim in various positions other than face down until I was watching Ben do it!

I wish I knew the names of all of the reef fish, although we did see barracuda, an eel, and some sort of crab that Ben was teasing ;-) I almost landed my hand on some coral on the bottom, and somehow did scrape against something with my palm, probably when we were doing navigation, or something on the bottom.

Flood and clear, mask removal, etc., was okay. I can imagine it could be hard for many, many people. My BCD removal on the bottom was the hardest thing, especially when I accidentally released my weight belt at the same time!

Also, I really have to spend some time in the water to learn to kick. I'm trying to flutter better, and it takes a lot of concentration to do that. I got new/different fins (the Mares Quattros), so it just feels different. I wonder if I should be using those inserts or not.

Again, I think it's only going to get better, as dive 2 was lots more fun than dive 1. I like how Ben just tells you to look down as soon as you get in the water. I think it's way easier to put your face down on the surface than to bob there in the waves. It's much more relaxing.

Finally, I must recommend MAD. I don't know if anyone is reading this that isn't already a fan, but the personal service (Ben or one of his partners picking you up and dropping you at your hotel, personal phone calls, etc) is a nice touch. Plus, he's a very positive and cool guy...I hope he stays that nice and doesn't get old, grizzled, and jaded! ;-)

Tomorrow, we try again, and hopefully I'll get my certification. Then, Sunday, we plan to do the cenotes. My family is snorkeling, and depending, I may dive...but out of respect to the caverns, will only do so if they think my buoyancy, etc. is up to par for that environment.

The weather is amazing, warm, sunny, and breezy. Apparently, there's a snow and ice storm back home!

No, the snow and ice storm is here!! :loki3:

You can really learn a lot about diving with a good diver as a partner. You want to emulate the good stuff and hopefully not the bad. Glad you like your trip so far. The more you dive the more comfortable you will be in the water.

I learned more diving with a club and a couple of mentors than all the dive instructions I had. Ben is a very good diver and instructor. Listen to what he tells you and ask plenty of questions. Ben is a cool guy to dive with and have a couple of drinks with as well. Usually, the first thing we do when we get to Cancun is have him and his girlfriend and another Brit over for a lot of drinks. Get him to take you down to La Parilla, if you haven't been there.

You will be awe struck by the cenotes! Truly awesome experience!!

Won't take long for you to be comfortable with ocean diving. However, REAL ocean diving is up here in the cold and crappy water....ah...nothing like Jersey wreck diving. :D Ben's a warm water wussie....:wink:

So, maybe you should cruise up to BTS the end of March and check out all the stuff. Makes you understand quickly how much stuff there is to buy and how little money you have....

Enjoy the warm while you can. My regards to the staff. Tell Isidro, Ulysses and Angel I said Hola!

I really was thinking about going to BTS. Is it a manageable one day thing? I assume it's about a 3.5 hour drive for me. I do think I'm going to need to dive locally (at least the quarries). My wife and I were trying to figure out when we could get back down here. We may end up staying at Coz Palace the next time. We were thinking maybe October, but that is hurricane season, and I'd hate to be blown out the whole time. But it's hard to imagine having to wait an entire year...

One of the lessons I learned on my first dive trip was that the surface is not the ideal place for a scuba diver -- conditions which are uncomfortable or unpleasant are often gone by the time you get to ten feet or so. We're meant to be underwater, and we don't really swim very well :)

With regards to your plans, I would like with great respect to offer my opinion that a cenote dive on this trip is not a good idea. The cenotes are spectacular places, and I have no problem with the system in place in Mexico for OW divers to do tours (unlike some other cave divers) as I was a beneficiary of it. But the caverns ARE an overhead environment, where you cannot surface for air no matter what happens, and I don't think someone just finishing their OW class knows enough about their reaction to stress underwater to know if they'll be able to remain calm and methodical in the face of a problem in an overhead environment. (For example, if your buoyancy control fails you for a moment, and you smack the ceiling and dislodge your first stage. Are you going to be able to swim calmly, while signaling, to the probably raptly unaware diver in front of you to get breathing gas?) In addition, the caverns are decorated and delicate, and deserve the respect that really good buoyancy control and trim can afford them.

You can have a fantastic week diving the open water. Everything you see will be new to you, and the water is wonderfully clear and warm. Build skills and experience, and do the cenotes on a future trip, when you know more about yourself as a diver, and your skills are more solid.

I know you didn't ask for that advice, and I apologize, but these are strong feelings for me.

For the exact same reasons I have to second TSandM's comments. While we often disagree on diving issues, this is one in which we totally agree.

The Cenotes are fabulous and having had the opportunity to do two days of touring last March I then went back in October to do Cavern and Intro to Cave. But for the fact that I'd had over a year to prepare for going into the overhead environment (working on trim, working on buoyancy, working on non-silting kicks, working on air-share (S) drills, working on getting into stressed situations to understand how I respond to them) the experience would not have been any where nearly as pleasurable.

Diving is a LOT of fun. As someone told me a while ago, dive at our existing level of experience until it gets boring -- then move up. Even doing a tour in a Cenote is a BIG step up from OW (or at least it should be). Enjoy the reefs, get used to being really comfortable and stable in the water -- then go do a Cenote tour.

PM sent on BTS.

Alas, during my post I forgot you are a newly minted diver. Peter and Lynne are entirely correct. I was diving for three years before I did my first cenote last year. Two important parts to the cenote/cave diving. First, your safety and second, not damaging the cave.

Cave diving is the top of the technical spectrum and requires special training and excellent bouyancy and trim skills.

I spend the majority of my time diving up here at Dutch Springs. I've probably still not explored half the quarry yet. When you take your advanced class, they should have you do two ocean dives. Everything in it's time....

Also, I really have to spend some time in the water to learn to kick. I'm trying to flutter better, and it takes a lot of concentration to do that. I got new/different fins (the Mares Quattros), so it just feels different. I wonder if I should be using those inserts or not.

I'm curious as to the inserts you are talking about here. Are these the inserts that came with the fins? If so, these inserts are just to help maintain the shape of the foot box of the fin when the fins are in storage, not for use when actually diving. I may be way off base here but I can't think of any other fin inserts.

And, yes, it gets way better. Happy diving!

So, I am now certified! Woo! The funny and embarrassing part, although not at the time, was that I forgot to don my weight belt on the first dive today! All the air out of my BC, and I wasn't going anywhere!! Ben had to swim back to the boat to get it, and I donned it at the surface (more skills practice!).

Both dives today were amazing, but especially the second. First up was "Grampin." 52 foot depth with a nice swim-thru...much like an arch. We saw some great animals...a nurse shark, green eels, barracuda, scorpion fish (Ben was holding it, and handing it to me to hold, but his "caution" hand sign didn't make any sense. He was just telling me to avoid the spines), and the regular menagerie of reef fish.

Second was El Tunel...the highlight was the tunnel swim-thru. Same types of animals as the first dive, but a couple little morsels...a baby trunk fish that we held, a massive eel that I'll need to have him ID.

Okay, on those inserts...I'm embarrassed, but that's likely what they were...But they are like these lattice-plastic things that LOOK like they should be used!! I figured it out.

So I now have my temporary card, and am psyched, as the stuff that I hate (bobbing on the surface tasting salt) isn't nearly as bad as it was.

On the cenotes...I asked Ben about this, because I trust you more experienced divers, and he said I'd be more than fine for this dive. I wonder if there are different levels of cenote in regards to complication...he seemed to think the one we are doing is wide open, because my family is snorkeling it. We have two other divers going, and the wife is relatively new (15-20 dives, I think).

I don't want to push it, and I want to do the right thing. I don't want to get into a situation I can't handle. On the good side, it would literally be three divers and the instructor, and maybe that's why Ben is cool with this. Do you all think there are certain ones that are almost "open water" in quality...very little overhead?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom