Will you recommend a reel for me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Artimas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I will be starting to do a bit of low vis diving, and will need a reel to tie off near the anchor line in order to find it on the way back. The guys that I will be diving with have a lot of experience doing this, and I will likely let them deploy the line on the first few dives. Ultimately I'd like to do it as well. I'd also like to use the reel for shooting a bag if necessary.

Depths will be under 100 ft.

They have Dive-Rite reels, but aren't crazy about them.

I was thinking something that holds around 250 ft. of #36 line would be about right. Resistance to birds-nests would also be desirable.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I think it all depends on how much you want to spend. I have few dive rite reels but my experience has been hit or miss. Some of them perform really well and others not so much (even the same model). Ive found that diving with heavy gloves, in combination with being a little heavy handed, the dive rite's plastics stops and handles tend to break. If you are going to buy a dive rite reel I recommend that you go to your LDS or somewhere that stocks them so you can see it, play with it, and make sure it doesn't jam etc. I finally bit the bullet not to long ago and bought a 400' salvo reel and have been very impressed with the quality.

Try this from Halcyon.

There's the Halcyon Pathfinder and there's "not exactly" when it comes to reels.

HPR-2.jpg

Halcyon Pathfinder Reels at www.DiveSeekers.com

:D

Side mount reels are great, just remember they can detach by themselves if not clipped on properly. Ive lost $140 reels that way, if you buy from a shop, have them show you how it can happen.

A lightly cheaper alternative is the reels from salvo which are a close cousin in design to the Halcyon reels. I own a 400ft primary (it will hold less with larger line of course, I run number 24 or 18) and a 1200ft exploration reel. Both are fabulous and I would like to own a couple more.

Larry Green or also called Ralph Hood Reels are simplistic and reliable too and they come in a top handle design. They make a primary and several smaller reels. For anything less than 400ft of #24 this would be my choice.

Other quality brands are Reef Scuba and Manta, then somewhere down the list is dive rite.

T

I will be starting to do a bit of low vis diving, and will need a reel to tie off near the anchor line in order to find it on the way back. .................

I'd also like to use the reel for shooting a bag if necessary. .............

Consider two reels or a reel and an upline.

Bag should be ~100# and no-dump construction. Oral inflate valve is a plus.
Surface marker OK if it is a real one, 7' and reflective tape -nothing less.

Put your initials on either in BIG letters. Print the letters out in your favorite font, tape the printer page onto bag, outline the initial with permanent marker. Remove page and fill it in.

Boat captains like to know who it is so they can decide if they want to go get you.:eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom