will wetsuits always be made of neoprene

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The reason neoprene insulates is because it has small air bubbles embedded in the rubber. The air is what makes the suit bouyant. If you make the rubber non-bouyant you would have to remove the air which would also remove the insulation quality.

As far as the amount of lead you need to carry, it's not just a function of the suit thickness. My son is slightly negatively bouyant with a 7mm suit on and a full tank of air (HP119). He did find out that once the tank started to empty he became positively bouyant. I got a kick out of watching him complete a dive with a big rock in his waist belt because he forgot to allow for the tank getting lighter as it emptied.

Mr.X:
I had one student (in So Cal.) in a full two piece 5mm wetsuit (no weights/no gear) sink in mere seconds during a neutral buoyancy check. His body was so dense that he would probably have been neutral with a 7mm. Lucky guy. :D

One thing to remember, as wetsuits age the lose thermal qualities and buoyancy. 5 years ago, my brand new 7mm two piece took 20lbs to sink. Now I can sink the whole suit with 4lbs. (suit only, no diver).

That said, I hate wetsuits. Its either a skin or drysuit.

I dive with a 7mm one piece with intergrated hood, 7mm booties and 5mm gloves. I still freeze my tits off! Try having water that is 7 degrees celcius at 15m! Then you will moan. You can't sink cos you are so bloody tense from the cold. That being said you get used to it and learn to compensate.

Well you have a couple of options

Build a nice indoor pool, dive naked then !

Buy a submarine !

Go Virtual Diving on the internet

ummmm

or buy a bloody dry suit :)

markr:
The reason neoprene insulates is because it has small air bubbles embedded in the rubber. The air is what makes the suit bouyant. If you make the rubber non-bouyant you would have to remove the air which would also remove the insulation quality.

Just a fine point. Not all neoprene is the same. Cheaper neoprene has air in it while better Rubatex neoprene has nitrogen which is a better insulator.

BTW the problem with sinking may not be the suit. It may have as much to do with your body type. People just like to blame the suit ;-).

Crawl79:
This post is scaring me.

Any suggestions on a good 65-75 degree wetsuit that is not so bouyant.

For 65 degree water, I would think a 5mm suit should work. For the 75 degree end, a 3mm should be plenty.

Ken

if your worried about price check out the different forums and ebay get your self a nice used dry suit i got over sever years and only paid 80 a peace shipped got lucky but theres always a good deal out there for those who look

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom