Will this lathe work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aussie82

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So my father just bought this lathe

POWERMATIC - 4224 Lathe, 3HP, 1 or 3 PH, 230V

I understand that it's designed for wood. I just wondering if I can use it turn plastic. I'm considering trying to make my own canister light. The shop that my father bought it from has turning classes and I'm going to take one before I try the canister light. My father also worked as an electrician and is an electrical engineer so the electrical part shouldn't be a problem. I'm planning on purchasing the Airspeed Press book on building a canister light.

Thanks for any advice.

A

So my father just bought this lathe

POWERMATIC - 4224 Lathe, 3HP, 1 or 3 PH, 230V

I understand that it's designed for wood. I just wondering if I can use it turn plastic. I'm considering trying to make my own canister light. The shop that my father bought it from has turning classes and I'm going to take one before I try the canister light. My father also worked as an electrician and is an electrical engineer so the electrical part shouldn't be a problem. I'm planning on purchasing the Airspeed Press book on building a canister light.

Thanks for any advice.

A

In a word, no.

Tobin

Tobin,

I know you have a business and that you make a lot of really good gear so I value your opinion. Could you explain why it won't work. What's the difference between a wood lathe and a lathe that you turn plastic with?

A

Tobin,

I know you have a business and that you make a lot of really good gear so I value your opinion. Could you explain why it won't work. What's the difference between a wood lathe and a lathe that you turn plastic with?

A

It won't work because a wood lathe requires the operator to hand hold the tools and allows for a free style of creating shapes on the wood. Metal lathes use screw threads, racks and pinions to accurately control the movement of the tool bit.
There is no way you can have precise control of a hand held lathe tool.

Thanks for the explaination. That makes sense. Oh well. Thanks for the quick replies.

A

Tobin,

A

Sorry, I was pressed for time previously.

You can't cut threads, you can't hold dimensions with precision, and boring deep straight walled cylinders would be nearly impossible.

Tobin

I guess if I end up building a canister light I can ask an old machinist friend if he can make a canister for me, but part of the fun was in doing it myself. Thanks for the explanation.

All of the above is right. You need precision. Also, you will need length. If you are boring lets say a 7" canister, you'll need about a 18-20" lathe to accomodate the boring bar plus the 7" stock you are turning.

I just recently acquired a 20" and can help you out if you need something. PM me if you are interested.

I agree with No. I went thru the same research you are in now. Finally I've got 7x14 which is reasonably inexpensive but allows you to do a lot of cool things. Like others said with plastics you need a precision to make grooves, notches for o-rings, adjust diameters of off-shelve plastic pieces such as plumbing PVC parts. If product is too large for the lathe you still can get away with making smaller parts and assembling them later. If I have had more $$ I would try a combo lathe-mill. They have plenty of it on ebay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom