Will these boots be alright for diving Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elmo6s

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi Guys,

I'm heading to Bonaire for the first time next week and am wondering if the boots I just picked up at the dive shop will do the trick (in regards to saving my feet from the reef!):

Scubapro Delta Boot 5mm, Short, Black

Thanks!

-Alex

The entry's in Bonaire can be easy or ankle breaking, depends on the site, how much gear you are carrying, if there is any surf (rarely if you are diving on the leeward side). Be sure the boots will support your ankles and have a solid tread, soft malleable tread is bad. If you are using a stage cylinder it will be best to take it and your fins to the waters edge, then go back for the BC/tank, scope out your entry when you drop your fins and plan how you want to get in. Many sites will have a specific marked spot for entry, look for the painted rocks, not only at the road, but at the waters edge too. Take a local if you can. Keep your hands off the reef, many sharp things there and gloves will get you a ticket from the scuba police. Another very annoying thing about Bonaire is the theft problem, you MUST leave your vehicle unlocked and with absolutely nothing inside. Really! The car rental places will charge you for broken windows and if you leave the doors locked, your windows WILL get broken. The diving there is spectacular, great reefs and lots of fish, but the best dive sites are the farthest north and south of town. Out by the salt piles and north of the fuel storage tanks have the best sites. Be sure to see the Helma hooker site. have fun!

The soles look beefy enough. I probably would have recommended the high top version but you should be ok.

Just got back from Bonaire and landed up having to buy new booties there. Did myself an injury with too soft booties (even though they were much more solid than my cozumel booties. I landed up needing to buy something with a rock hard sole which worked much much better. Also I would definitely recommend the high top version as you find without the ankle support that your feet slide all over the sole and while your sole is in contact with the reef so is your foot as it slides over the sole. I am sure it was just one errant rock that hurt me and in the absence of that rock or that particular step I would have been fine and would have been reporting that my soft malleable soles were just fine however that wasnt the case and had I had the hard sole to begin with I wouldn't have hurt myself.

As a few others have said they will be fine. They look exactly like what I have and I've been to Bonaire numerous times and have never had a problem at any of the sites. As far as having high top models for "ankle support", I'm not sure neoprene is ever going to give you ankle support that would help in preventing you from turning an ankle or something.

you must have boots for shore diving.

what sort depends on where you want the tan to start.

That's about the kind of boot the wife uses. She has no trouble at all, even lugging gear around. And she isn't all that tough or anything.

Very similar to the boots we all use for Caribbean diving, and they work especially well for Bonaire shore dive entries and exits, where you do want a strong sole on your boot because of the rock/coral.

I really can't imagine how any wet boots are going to offer any sort of true ankle support, no matter how tall they are! (and I have had to wear tall logging style boots on dry land my entire life, because of foot/ankle issues).

Back
Top Bottom