Will reflective tape have to be removed for vis inspection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cool_hardware52:
Dave,

I have another question: What kinda tape and why did you put it on the tank?

ch

I though about putting some refective patches on my tank too. But I was going to put them on the tank boot. Reason is night diving. I do dive at night in poor viz. with several buddy pairs. It's good to look different. With a black wet suit and hood and grey steel tank we all look alike in the dark.. Those reflective patches _really_ light up in the dark water. A buddy could find me quicker and _know_ it's me from a distance.

Crista,

When you say they really light up. I'm assuming you mean in the dark, underwater.

Are you using the Solas tape?

How does the tape perform in terms of flooding after repeated trips to depth?

thanks,

ch

U can get what's called buddy patch<I think>.. it's a package of small reflective strips, circles, squares ment for diving. It runs about $8.00 a package. I use a glow tube on my tank for night diving, and low visibility. I also use Necklace or braclet style glow sticks because they can be attached easily. I have tried the 3M tape on the tank boot but didn't hold up well underwater. I always cary two dive lights a small AA for back up.. and my 8D cell UK sunlight.. The good thing about the glow tube, is it has five different strobe settings including SOS. so if I did get lost at sea on a dive trip, it's bright enough to be seen from the air. This will run you about $34.00 USD.

I have Solas reflective tape on my tanks so I can be seen on the surface at night and although it should be removed for a VIP no shop ever has.

dlwalke:
I was going to add some reflective tape to my new tapes, but then it occured to me that this might have to be removed for the visual inspection (never had my own tanks before). Is this correct?

Thanks,
Dave

Technically, yes, but very few shops seem to do it. Having seen unpleasant stuff under stickers I'd be really unimpressed with a shop that didn't remove remove them from a steel tank.

If you're getting new tanks, order them in fluourescent yellow or green - the entire tank glows underwater in low vis conditions. If you have unpainted steels paint them if you want visiblility.

dlwalke:
I was going to add some reflective tape to my new tapes, but then it occured to me that this might have to be removed for the visual inspection (never had my own tanks before). Is this correct?

Thanks,
Dave

I am the same as you every little thing helps when you want to be seen. I painted our tanks white and fluorescent orange orange on the tank shoulder. The idea was white underwater and the orange on the surface, I don't know how much it helps on the surface but everyone tells me they are like a neon sign underwater. Another plus is no one on a dive boat or LDS picks my tanks up by mistake.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom