Will reflective tape have to be removed for vis inspection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlwalke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was going to add some reflective tape to my new tapes, but then it occured to me that this might have to be removed for the visual inspection (never had my own tanks before). Is this correct?

Thanks,
Dave

Dave,

I haven't got a clue if you need to remove the tape.

I have another question: What kinda tape and why did you put it on the tank?

cheers,

ch

dlwalke:
I was going to add some reflective tape to my new tapes, but then it occured to me that this might have to be removed for the visual inspection (never had my own tanks before). Is this correct?
Yes... sort of. :)

If the vis is done properly, it is completely stripped of all stickers, wraps, boots, bands, etc.

Many shops do not completely strip them, and if my tank comes back with anything more than the current vis sticker (and maybe a fresh contents label), then I will not use that shop for a viz again.

For a good viz inspection the tape should be removed.

Why were you thinking of putting tape on the tanks? If you were wanting to put the tape on so that you would be visible to rescuers in the event of being lost at sea, it would be more beneficial to carry a dive light and a CD or mirror as a reflector. If you are wearing your tanks, they would only be visible if you were face down on the surface and their light hit the reflective tape on the tank. Odds aren't too great of that happening. Some sort of reflector for day use and a light for night use is a much better way to go for safety sake. I do know someone though who has the reflective tape on his hood.

Ann Marie:
For a good viz inspection the tape should be removed.

Why were you thinking of putting tape on the tanks? If you were wanting to put the tape on so that you would be visible to rescuers in the event of being lost at sea, it would be more beneficial to carry a dive light and a CD or mirror as a reflector. If you are wearing your tanks, they would only be visible if you were face down on the surface and their light hit the reflective tape on the tank. Odds aren't too great of that happening. Some sort of reflector for day use and a light for night use is a much better way to go for safety sake. I do know someone though who has the reflective tape on his hood.

Well, it is not a great reason, but I saw some diver (I think it was that series on Discovery or PBS or whatever about UW archeology and such) with reflective tape on his tanks and I just thought I would too (as I will have to wait another month or two to afford a set, I am occupying my time by thinking about them and what I can do to them and so on). As a frequent night biker and occasional nighttime kayaker, I have been conditioned to think reflexively that reflective tape is always a good thing. If I were face down (and dead), I would still want to be recovered I suppose (as quick as possible if, for no other reason, to save helicopter gas and not-knowing time for relatives) and that might be of some benefit. Also, while underwater in limited visibility conditions, if someone in our group got seperated and was waving their light around and I was just on the periphery of what might be possible to see, it would help them in finding me. Anyhow, the rationale is largely an afterthought. Perhaps its not worth the trouble. I like to use this board as a sounding board for ideas, most of which are never implemented but some of which are.

dlwalke:
Well, it is not a great reason, but I saw some diver (I think it was that series on Discovery or PBS or whatever about UW archeology and such) with reflective tape on his tanks and I just thought I would too (as I will have to wait another month or two to afford a set, I am occupying my time by thinking about them and what I can do to them and so on). As a frequent night biker and occasional nighttime kayaker, I have been conditioned to think reflexively that reflective tape is always a good thing. If I were face down (and dead), I would still want to be recovered I suppose (as quick as possible if, for no other reason, to save helicopter gas and not-knowing time for relatives) and that might be of some benefit. Also, while underwater in limited visibility conditions, if someone in our group got seperated and was waving their light around and I was just on the periphery of what might be possible to see, it would help them in finding me. Anyhow, the rationale is largely an afterthought. Perhaps its not worth the trouble. I like to use this board as a sounding board for ideas, most of which are never implemented but some of which are.

The more stickers, do-dads and gizmos stuck to the cylinder, the greater the chances of corrosion around and underneath these items.

Hey dl,

What type tape? Did you ever test it for reflectivity at night & wet?

What we discovered was that most reflective tape, fabric patches, "piping" as used on some BC's and wings, gear bags etc. , does not work at all when wet. 3M will tell you the same thing. All these reflective products use exposed glass beads, water interfers with the reflective properties. This means that the reflective piping on your BC may be helpful if you need to find it in a dark closet with a flashlight, but is of no use when wet.

The "Solas" (Safety on land and Sea?) reflective items have a clear vinyl cover over the beads. This greatly reduces the reflectivity, but they do work when splashed with water. Primary use is life jackets.

What we found was that water would seep into the trapped air space between the vinyl cover and the glass beads if used at depth, the resultant algae / mold made us abandon the project.

I am interested in what you used, and if it worked.

Thanks,

ch

I think the most reflective thing available is the 3M "Diamond Grade" reflective vinyl. It is a smooth surfaced vinyl material with pyramid-shaped reflectors imbedded under the surface.

Most speed limit signs, and some reflective street name signs use it. It's a step above the 3M "Engineering Grade".

cool_hardware52:
Hey dl,

What type tape? Did you ever test it for reflectivity at night & wet?

What we discovered was that most reflective tape, fabric patches, "piping" as used on some BC's and wings, gear bags etc. , does not work at all when wet. 3M will tell you the same thing. All these reflective products use exposed glass beads, water interfers with the reflective properties. This means that the reflective piping on your BC may be helpful if you need to find it in a dark closet with a flashlight, but is of no use when wet.

The "Solas" (Safety on land and Sea?) reflective items have a clear vinyl cover over the beads. This greatly reduces the reflectivity, but they do work when splashed with water. Primary use is life jackets.

What we found was that water would seep into the trapped air space between the vinyl cover and the glass beads if used at depth, the resultant algae / mold made us abandon the project.

I am interested in what you used, and if it worked.
ch

Yeah. I use the SOLAS-approved 3M (I believe) stuff that I usually purchase from West Marine. Seems to work great on the PFDs and even on my 1st kayak where it has been for many many years. Still seems very bright even with the vinyl cover. I cannot vouch for it under hyperbaric conditions however.

Dave

I recommend a tank light at night. I suppose the reflective tape was for a group leader so people would identify them better. We attach small duckies to our leader for this purpose, or for a joke :)

Gear is generally identifiable enough to differentiate between divers.

Back
Top Bottom