Will it happen again?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Miami Mermaid

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I did my first o/w dive 2 weeks ago and had some ear problems. In turn, I went to the doctor and he prescribed "Claritin D" which worked really well. Now, my ear is fine and my cold is totally gone. When I dive on Sunday, does that mean I'll have equalization problems again? Is this a problem that gets better with time?

If you have equalization problems once, does that mean you will always have them??

Thanks in advance.

Especially if your ear problems were associated with a cold, it is unlikely that you'll have the same kind of problem without a cold.
Under any circumstances, clear early and often, but gently. I've been diving over 30 years and still occasionaly have problems clearing my ears - usually I can take it easy and eventually get them clear, but every now and then I just have to skip a day of diving.
Good luck.
Rick

Hi Miami Mermaid,

Clearing problems that were the result of a cold that has since completely resolved, and not caused by an anatomical or chronic pathophysiological condition, should not recur provided proper equalization techniques are followed.

Of course, care should be taken on subsequent dives until it is confirmed that the difficulty has passed. Continued problems with equalization despite proper clearing technique warrants a visit to an ENT.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Have fun.

DocVikingo

I had a problem with equalizing (with or without a cold) when I first started diving. I would forget until I could actually feel the pressure, then I would try to equalize. I think that is pretty common with most new divers...there is soooo much to remember, and equalizing is a foreign concept to most "land-lubbers".

Best thing I learned is, for the first 20-30 feet is equalize everytime you exhale. It might be overkill, but its worked for me.

I'm one of the few people I have talked to (yes...I talk to myself..ok?? *grins*) that has a problem with accending and ear problems. I am fine throughout the dive...but when it comes to going up, my ears freak out. Doesn't happen all the time, but enough that I'm kinda worried. One time in particular, it felt like someone was driving an icepick through my ear. But, I had to come up (due to a little thing called air...) It hurt on the boat for about 10 minutes, and everything was muffled in that ear for the rest of the day. Finally, about 8 hours later, I heard a squeaking sound...and then everything was fine...but my ear (inside) itched like crazy. It wasn't a deep dive, and I didn't come up fast..did my safety stop, and it started hurting then. Tried dropping down, and clearing, but that didn't help. I didn't take any decongestants that day, so it isn't a case of medicine wearing off.

I've had this problem a number of time. Each time I stay out of the water for at least a week. Any suggestions on how to prevent this?

Scubabunny, I know you probably already thought of this yourself, so at the risk of stating the obvious; see your doctor.

Since this has occurred fairly often, I think it warrants an examination at the least. Just my 2 cents.

Hi scubabunny,

BetterLateThannever is onto something hear (Sorry, couldn't resist).

What you are experiencing is known as "reverse squeeze." It can result in very serious barotrauma to the ear.

Ask your physician for an ENT referral.

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

I knew you were going to say that. Now that I have health insurance through work, I guess I'll actually use it. But, what would be the most likely cause of something like that?

Also...DAN covers ANY diving injury...but they don't cover preventive medicine, do they? Just curious. If this is something that I have to get some "procedure" to take care of, and my regular insurance won't cover it...would DAN? (not holding my breath for that one...but just asking)

Hi scubabunny,

Equalization difficulty can be caused by a number of anatomical & pathophysiological conditions that impede the movement of air into, out of & among spaces in the ear. When the diver is able to adequately clear on descent, but has problems on ascent, i.e., reverse squeeze, eustachian tube dysfuntion is often involved.

You are correct that DAN dive accident benefits do not cover any preventative medicine of the type possibly involved in your case.

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

Miami Mermaid and ScubaBunny,
If you continue to have problems equalizing (and I hope you do not) then please consider using the ProEar 2000 mask
http://www.proear2000.com
This mask protects your ears and allows for easier equalizing.
Good luck

Hi HMan,

Exactly what feature(s) of the ProEar2000 mask allows for easier clearing of reverse squeeze?

Thanks,

DocVikingo

Back
Top Bottom