Will be in the Ft. Myers area...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tractor Tom

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
...next weekend (Ivan willing).

I posted a week or so ago, that my wife and I are looking at a move to Florida in the late winter/early spring next year. Well, this next weekend (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) is the date we had picked to go down and get a look around. I didn't expect to see the hurricanes running one a week when we picked the date to make the trip. We have a daughter who is living in Ft. Myers and teaching at Bonita Springs in the middle school. She has suffered very little from the past two hurricanes, and seems to be just fine, but I'll believe that when I see it (typical parent statement).

If things all work out, I'll be shifting my membership from the Great Lakes Wrecking Crew to the Florida Conch Divers in the spring and looking to get in some dives on Saturday afternoons and Sundays, when the weather permits. May have to put my drysuit in mothballs for a while, I guess.

I have been reading about the hurricanes on the Conch Divers listing, and am glad to hear that most of you are unscathed from the mostly constant storms. Look forward to meeting some of you down the way. Thanks for all the good reporting, it sounds to me like you have a upbeat, supportive group of divers there in the 'hurricane state".

frankenmuth_tom:
...next weekend (Ivan willing).

I posted a week or so ago, that my wife and I are looking at a move to Florida in the late winter/early spring next year. Well, this next weekend (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) is the date we had picked to go down and get a look around. I didn't expect to see the hurricanes running one a week when we picked the date to make the trip. We have a daughter who is living in Ft. Myers and teaching at Bonita Springs in the middle school. She has suffered very little from the past two hurricanes, and seems to be just fine, but I'll believe that when I see it (typical parent statement).

If things all work out, I'll be shifting my membership from the Great Lakes Wrecking Crew to the Florida Conch Divers in the spring and looking to get in some dives on Saturday afternoons and Sundays, when the weather permits. May have to put my drysuit in mothballs for a while, I guess.

I have been reading about the hurricanes on the Conch Divers listing, and am glad to hear that most of you are unscathed from the mostly constant storms. Look forward to meeting some of you down the way. Thanks for all the good reporting, it sounds to me like you have a upbeat, supportive group of divers there in the 'hurricane state".

Tom!
You are thinking of leaving us? GLWC will definitely miss you! On our part though, Don and I are retiring from our jobs October 01 and will be spending our winters on Hilton Head Island. We are hoping to be able to get down to Florida often to dive with the Florida Conch Divers too!

lisa4516:
Tom!
You are thinking of leaving us? GLWC will definitely miss you! On our part though, Don and I are retiring from our jobs October 01 and will be spending our winters on Hilton Head Island. We are hoping to be able to get down to Florida often to dive with the Florida Conch Divers too!

Hi Lisa,

Well, I'm not retiring. Would starve if I tried to do that, but rather, looking at a tractor dealership down in South Florida. Would like to work another 20 years or so, and accumulate enough money that I CAN retire some day.

We'll know by the beginning of next week, which way we are going to hop....

Nice hearing from you again, my best to Don, Semper Fi!!!!

Walter:
Tom,

I'm looking forward to diving with you. Hurry down.

Thanks Walter, I look forward to diving with you too. Seems up until now our attempts to get together have been thwarted....

Tom - can't wait to meet ya and put a real face to the icon.. maybe even dive weather and storms willing! :D

CBulla:
Tom - can't wait to meet ya and put a real face to the icon.. maybe even dive weather and storms willing! :D

I appreciate that a LOT Colin. My big fear with this weekend trip is that IVAN heads north and they close the airport (RSW) and we have to spend a couple extra days there hiding in a hotel. We don't plan to fly out until 5pm on Sunday, and if this next storm gets up there, we'd be stuck.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything works out OK.

QUOTE] May have to put my drysuit in mothballs for a while, I guess.

Don't plan on putting it away for long. Jan.- Mar. the gulf gets pretty cold.
I brought mine with me from Ma. and glad I did. You should see someone from up north thinking "it's Florida,warm water" and shows up with a 3mm suit in Feb. The 2nd dive he's sitting on the boat frozen and blue.

Scott

frankenmuth_tom:
Hi Lisa,

Well, I'm not retiring. Would starve if I tried to do that, but rather, looking at a tractor dealership down in South Florida. Would like to work another 20 years or so, and accumulate enough money that I CAN retire some day.

We'll know by the beginning of next week, which way we are going to hop....

Nice hearing from you again, my best to Don, Semper Fi!!!!
Are you taking Cyril on this trip? Have a safe trip! We just made plans to be in Daytona next March for Easter and in Orlando for a few days, and the rest of the week near Lakeland! Hope we can do some diving then!
Tom, we will really miss you at the GLWC picnic, it won't be the same!
Don sends his regards too

Are you planning on diving during your recon weekend?? It looks like the hurricane wont be hitting that shore (hopefully not at all) until early next week - like tuesday or so, at least according to the current models, hopefully you will be fairly safe til then.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom