Wild weather dive 7/18/12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

decapoddiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A buddy and I launched at Winter Island and headed out to my "secret" scallop beds. The scallops must have known we were coming since they decided to move. I managed to get 2 nice bugs and about 30 scallops on my first dive while rapidly searching for the big beds. Towards the end of our second dive we found the near edge of a huge bed and each filled a big bag before surfacing.
We moved the boat over the bed and went back in. About half way through the dive and filling 2 more bags, we decided to surface and get our bearings relative to our unmanned boat. What greeted us was 360° of lightning, black clouds and strong winds. We made our way back to the boat fast and grabbed our pelican-floated bags. After an anxious ride back to the landing we tied up and ran to the truck. About an hour later the lightning stopped and the rain slowed enough to see more than 30 feet. We asked the harbormaster if it would be alright to shuck the scallops at the dock and he agreed. We shucked in the now returned torrential downpours, loaded the boat and gear back and took a very nice, hot, relaxing shower and came home.
While we knew the t-storms were coming later in the afternoon, going down under blue skies and popping up 30 minutes later to that was unexpected.

Second time for me. Same place and with the same person so I blame him :)

I surfaced to snowfall on a December night dive. Not scary at all very pretty! I did surface to a T-storm off Cuttyhunk years ago not fun or pretty.

Been there. Surface from dive, and all can think about is tank valve behind head. Part of me is saying I'm covered in rubber so I'm safe.. Not!
Hope all is well with you. Still remember first dives on duck boat and impromptu dry suit repair on crotch strap.

Back
Top Bottom