Wife wants quick release on harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hory

Contributor
Reaction score
I've read in this forum and in consultation with tech divers that putting a quick release on the harness is not recommended as they could be failure points. Before you folks jump at me and agree with that statement, maybe a little background on my wife's diving profile will help. Here goes:

- She is a recreational diver.
- We did a wreck entry once but it was an easy one where the entry and exit were very short and large enough for two divers to enter and exit. She personally does not enjoy entering wrecks. Diving around it is ok.
- She enjoys entering caves with caverns to see what's inside it and soak in the beauty of cave formations (stalags and stalaks)
- She doesn't like deep dives. No more than 120 ft.
- She doesn't envision going down with dual tanks or even with a deco bottle.
- She likes the idea of a BP as she can get rid of the weight belt
- She likes quick releases to get out of her gear

If so, any suggestions/recommendations? If I can have a quick release mounted, where should I have it positioned? Left or right harness? Where along the harness?

You should post in a different forum since your not asking for a DIR answer.

I wouldn't think that modifying a BC to that extent would be a good idea anyway.

This would entail cutting two straps and sewing in the QR's. Then it would require faith in your sewing or sewing machine's capability to not break, tear, or fail.

It's bad enough that the QR buckle is a failure point, but I would add four more for the sewing jobs. At least if the MFR did it and it failed you could send it back and get a new one.

TwoBit

This post has been moved from the DIR forum to here because it asks specifically for a non-DIR answer.

Nothing wrong with putting a quick release on the harness, to each his (or her) own, but it's not DIR and therefore does not belong in that forum, and has been moved here.

Roger (moderator hat on)

Well personally I wouldn't want a quick release on my harness, but its her diving the rig, not me. I believe that there are harnesses out there that already come with a quick release, maybe someone can suggest one to you. Buying one with a quick release from the manufacturer would be a whole lot better than adding one yourself. But again I don't think its needed. If she has an emergency and needs to ditch gear she can just cut the harness straps off and then you just have to replace a $12 piece of webbing. Removing gear when on a boat is easy enough as long as you fully deflate your wing.

Oh and since I am posting to this thread already, unless your wife is trained for overhead I think she should stay out of caverns and caves. I don't know how things are where you live and maybe they are different than the caverns we have hear, but unless its a dive site deemed "safe" for ow divers to enter then stay out if you don't ahve the proper training. Ok off my soapbox now.

If she's set on a QR, take a look at the Dive Rite Deluxe harness, you could also thread a QR on a std. harness, just separate the pieces by 6-8 inches, when you size the harness connect the QR, that way when you release it the strap will be 6-8 inches longer.

I agree with Wendy, please don't do any type of overhead diving without the proper training.

Ben

Folks,

Sorry if I mis-posted my last post in DIR. That's the very reason I asked in that forum so that I get a better understanding/advise on whether QRs make sense given DIR dive philosophy and making sure my wife stays comfortable with her gear.

Wendy, you're correct. We're both not trained for OH diving and we won't be going into wrecks or caverns hereon until we get certification for it. First and last cavern we entered was a cave opening at 5 feet of water, a swim of 15ft from the cave opening, wide enough for 4 divers to swim abreast. We were with a dive guide who deployed a guideline. We'll consider taking OH diving course this May or June.

Folks, thanks for all the response and advise.
Hory

Back
Top Bottom