Wierd Toe Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paddles

Reaction score
Okay...to preface this post, I have NEVER had problems with my feet or toenails...

Now, after diving a few dives, I have this weird "fungus" type thing going on under my big toenail...and the toenail looks like its going to fall off! Yuck! (I called my doc and requested an antibacterial cream)

I'm thinking it might have to do with my boots, but I don't know...they don't fit tightly or loosely...didn't cause any pain during diving...never gave it a second thought.

But could it be dive-related or am I just a freaky fungus gal?

Is this normal? Or am I just weird?

A fungal infection in the nailbed is a common thing, and is fairly stubborn. There is a prescription med available to treat it. An antibacterial won't do anything unless it's a bacterial infection.
I'd make an appointment to go and have it looked at.

IS it diving related? I dunno. Maybe a doc can comment on that? I am not a doctor, (nor do I play one on TV), I just had a Mom who had this fungal infection and did some reading.

IS it diving related? Only if you share booties, or walked on a wet deck barefooted. It is a contagious fungus.

"Creams and ointments are generally no help in treating onychomycosis. Recently, however, a nail lacquer (called Penlac) has been marketed and may be helpful in some patients.

Oral medications -- such as Sporanox (itraconazole) or Lamisil (terbinafine) -- may be taken for several months. While these medicines may clear the fungus in about half of all patients, they can cause numerous side effects. Many people are not able to take these medications because of other medications that they are taking, or other medical problems.

Nails grow slowly, so even if treatment is successful, a new, clearer nail may take up to one year to replace the old nail."

i caught a nasty fungus from a close-foot fin i rented from a resort in Grand Cayman,
and it spread to my other foot (by scratching one foot with the other).

doc tried some type of cream, and it didn't work, and then tried something called
"Clotrimazole and Betasmethasone Dipropionate Cream, USP" (i saved the tube in case i ever needed it again).

it worked very well, and in about two months took care of things.

however, the doctor did say that i was lucky that it did not get under the nail, as
they are much, much harder to treat.

The other common place to contract nail fungus is while getting a pedicure. Any chance you got a pedicure recently?

Paula

Had a pedicure about 2 or 3 months ago, but didn't notice anything then...

Andy...was that cream over-the-counter or prescription?

Not into taking anything interally...not even aspirin...If I have to, I tend to like homeopathic remedies myself...

But if this IS contagious, I'll need to scrub the shower and make the kids use the 2nd bath for their showers...don't want to pass it on...

I did call the doc and left a message with her nurse for a callback...it is definitely under the nail...I'll probably loose the nail, no worries, just don't want it to be an ongoing problem...

BTW, if it does fall off, no biggie, right?

Thanks for the info guys!

I believe Penlac, the topical treatment, was available only by prescription but has become over the counter.

Paddles:
Andy...was that cream over-the-counter or prescription?

prescription. i tried some over the counter stuff and did not do any good, so had to go see the doctor.

this is fairly common, I find that trimming back the nail to expose the infected skin is about the only way to get rid of it.

Back
Top Bottom