Wide angle lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alttc74

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
hello, is Nikkor 10.5mm f2.8 vs tokina 10-17mm, which lens produce the best image? :)

The Tokina 10-17 seems to be more popular than the Nikon 10.5. I went went with the Tokina -- the first non-Nikon lens I've ever bought in 42 years of Nikon SLR ownership. I'm quite happy with it. The down side is that it does not have a built-in focus motor, so it will only work with higher end DSLRs that have a motor in the body. What body do you have?

Actually, I think the Nikon 10.5 doesn't have a motor either (not sure), which leaves you with the Nikon
10-24, which Adm. Linda uses on her D60 to good effect.

I use the Tokina with a D300, Sea and Sea housing and 8" port.

I use the Tokina 10-17 with a 4 inch dome and a Nikon D7000. The lens is a zoom and that is nice. The lens has a very close focus which means you can use it with a small dome. The clarity of the images are pretty good. The lens is a fisheye. That means the images are a bit distorted.

The he lens is generally considered by Canon and Nikon people as the best choice for an underwater wide angle.

The Tokina 10-17 seems to be more popular than the Nikon 10.5. I went went with the Tokina -- the first non-Nikon lens I've ever bought in 42 years of Nikon SLR ownership. I'm quite happy with it. The down side is that it does not have a built-in focus motor, so it will only work with higher end DSLRs that have a motor in the body. What body do you have?

Actually, I think the Nikon 10.5 doesn't have a motor either (not sure), which leaves you with the Nikon

Tokina also has an 11-16 now that does have a focus motor and is compatible with the Nikon bodies that do not.

The Tokina 11-16/2.8 (which I also have) isn't a fisheye lens, it's rectilinear. It wont focus as close as the 10-17 & 10.5 fisheye lenses, but it will keep straight lines straight (ie wrecks etc).

Hi Chuck Tribolet,
Im using d7000 body in ikelite housing& i think i'll go for tokina 10-17mm which is more popular among the divers :)

Any thoughts from anybody on the Tokina 12-28? I have a new D3200 that I am kitting up to take underwater eventually, and was wondering if there were any advantages or disadvantages other than price between the Nikon 10-24 and Tokina 12-28 underwater. Have read a lot of above water reviews of the Tokina, but haven't seen any from anybody using it underwater yet.

I don't see a zoom gear for that lens in the Nauticam port chart, which would be a big issue if you have a Nauticam housing. You'd be stuck with whatever focal length your lens is set to when you put it in the housing.

I am not sure if any other housing systems (Subal, Ike, Aquatica, etc) have zoom gear for that lens or not.

Tokina 12-28
minimum focus distance is 25cm, a rectilinear lens, will give you 99 degree to 55 degree angle of view.

Tokina 10-17 minimum focus distance is 14 cm, is a fisheye lens, will give you 100 to 180 degree angle of view.

The minimum focus distance difference might not seem like a lot, but that is measured from the camera sensor. The 10-17 will focus on subjects right up to the port. The 12-28 minimum focus distance might even require a diopter on the lens to focus on the virtual image from the dome port.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom