Wich lens is best to start with

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amotz

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a d80 and I attend to take it UW, I still debait wich lens should I buy to begin with. I debait betwean 20mm 35mm 50mm or maybe 18-55, I use 18-200 on land.

The only problem is the budjet, otherwise I would have buy them all.

From my reading, most people like to use a wide angle zoom like the Tokina 12-24 or the Sigma 10-20 or something similar. The notion is that you need to be close and you need wide angle to get much in your shot.

Another aspect of UW photography is macro photography. That would mean something like a 60 mm macro or a 105 macro depending on what you prefer.

The macro lens will need a different port than the wide angle lens.

I would recommend starting with a 60mm Macro or the Tokina 10-17 fisheye.

I second the choice of either 60mm Macro or Tokina 10-17mm. But it depends on what type of photography your doing. No point in buying the Tokina if your doing mostly macro.

If on a budget the Nikkor 60mm AF-D 60mm is a cheaper lens than the newer Nikkor AF-S and is just as good. It might be a fraction of a second slower in focusing but you wont notice the difference. Ports for macro lenses are cheaper as your really require a large dome for the Tokina 10-17mm.

Regards Mark

Actually the AF-D 60 may focus better than the AF-S, if you camera can't
keep up with fast focusing.

Note that the AF-D won't autofocus on the D40, D40s, D60 (and maybe
D3000, D5000). Heck, my D300 has trouble keeping up with the autofocus
speed of the 105 AF-S. Nikon should tweak the firmware on the AF-S
macro lenses to slow them down if the camera can't keep up.

Amotz:

Looks like it is pretty unanimous: a 60 or Tokina 10-17. Personally, I would start out with a 60 as it is a phenominal lens for portraits. Then get the 10-17. Great lenses.

Dan

I agree with the above, but will throw in a wild card; The Sigma 17-70 macro is an awesome lens. Buy it and get rid of the 18-55 if yo have it. Very sharp and behind a dome port you can shoot sort of macro to sort of wide angle. Fairly cheap and it can cover a lot of ground.

But yeah, they'll pry my cold wet fingers off my 60mm macro...

Jack

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom