Maybe time to switch camera brands - advice sought

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cthippo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
About a year ago my DSLR died and other things have been higher priority than replacing it. The problem is, technology has moved on and it hasn't moved in a direction I like.

I have been using superzoom lenses since the film days (Tamron 28-300 followed by a Sony 18-250). I started in the Minolta ecosystem and have evolved to Sony, my last body being an Alpha 55. The problem is, that generation was the last to use the A mount. The mirrorless systems that have followed do not offer a Superzoom option.

So, the question is, where do I go from here? The obvious choice is a Sony Alpha 77 from the same generation as my old body which will continue to use my 18-250 lens, and gives me more resolution, better video etc. I would still be buying a used body that is at least 10 years old. Alternatively, I could switch to a different brand that has a newer body still compatible with superzoom lenses, but that would require buying both body and lens.

Anymore, I mostly shoot video for my YouTube channel, but I also miss the ability to shoot stills occasionally. Switching back and forth between lenses is not something I want to do again. Absolute top end budget would be $1500, would prefer to spend maybe a third of that.

Well you won't get much for $500.

Maybe a Go Pro 11 but that is several hundred dollars more.

I'm using an Olympus TG6 and it's good for close up and macro. It does have a zoom feature.

You can see my video's on youtube dstv asia

I'd just start watching ebay and pick up a replacement body, especially since it will be a convenience rather than a necessity. You can put off the decision to move on to something new later, and hopefully have more funds available.

Ebay isn't bad, if you know the camera, which is why I haven't moved on, as you can assess the body and operation quickly, and process the return promptly, if necessary.

Blackcrusader, how do you like the TG-6, and have you tried the earlier versions? I've been looking at them as my collection of Olympus C-5050s are getting long in the tooth.

Blackcrusader, how do you like the TG-6, and have you tried the earlier versions? I've been looking at them as my collection of Olympus C-5050s are getting long in the tooth.

For several years I used a Go Pro Hero 4. I had lights and a red filter and a small magnification lens and got in some decent video and photos. I bought the TG6 because I could not do the Super Macro with the Go Pro. Go Pro is press and shoot, or just setup so when taking video is snaps a photo every 5 seconds. So Go Pro Hero4 Black straight to TG6 for me. Kept the Hero4 and mount it on my TG6 dry port housing. TG6 does not take video and photos at same time. Sometimes I use the go pro for video on the same subject I use the TG6 for photos. Waste not want not.

DIY tray works for both Go Pro and TG6. Added a slot in the middle of the tray for the TG6 to be screwed into. I still use a show lace to attach to my D ring with a bolt snap if not being held in my hand.

TG6 took me a few days of diving to get anything decent as I had new lights and had to learn TG6 settings. I love the TG6 for close up and macro shots. So I had to go and study up on aperture settings, what F stop to select, ISO and white balance that is not there with a Go Pro.

Very happy with what the TG6 gets me. I take the video's and photos for my vacation memories and not for photo competitions. I don't have tiktok IG reddit or blogs lol just the you tube I wrote above. Some stuff I post in FB Olympus camera forums to help other users new to the TG6.

There is this thread TG photos, Show us what you shot.

10093.jpg

TG6 HERO4 SETUP.jpg

TG6 MOUNT.jpg

Well, there's the Sony FE 24-240mm for their newer full-frame mirrorless, and a similar Tamron. It's not easy to fit that and a full-frame mirrorless into $1500 though, unless you happen to find a bundle on eBay or so.

I think what's happened in photography during the last decade or so is that camera phones have gotten so good and ubiquitous that they cover all consumer needs. The "actual" cameras are thus targeted to professionals and avid enthusiasts -- full frame, very high-quality (expensive) glass. The super zooms were never that popular with the pro/enthusiast crowd because they tend to be a quality compromise at both ends.

The full-frame Sonys also accept adaptors to all kinds of older film lens systems, though. You can mount Minolta, Canon, Nikon etc glass with a fairly cheap adapter. Older manual focus lenses are awesome. :)

The full-frame Sonys also accept adaptors to all kinds of older film lens systems, though. You can mount Minolta, Canon, Nikon etc glass with a fairly cheap adapter. Older manual focus lenses are awesome.
I occasionally use my old Olympus OM-2 lenses on my Olympus OMD-M10, with a adapter. My old 50mm f/1.8 now acts like a 100mm f/1.8, great for portraits. And I've got a 500mm mirror lens that acs like a 1000mm mirror. Great fun.

I think with this adapter you could mount your A mount lenses on Sony Alpha E mount bodies. You can find a nice Sony mirrorless for < $1000. used.
[/URL]

I am assuming that because this was posted in Non-Diving related Stuff that this is not for underwater use?

First of all, I want to stress that this is my opinion. It is intended to be taken as opinion and as such perhaps with a grain of salt.

Given your budget, have you thought of going in a different direction? Have you considered an Olympus M4/3 camera. True, it won't give you a full frame sensor, but I would argue that it will be every bit as good as the sensor in any Sony A Mount camera. (Sony has not made A Mount cameras in several years, so it is reasonable to expect older senor technology.)

In general, "super zooms" are not really that practical for use underwater. This set-up is viewed by the folks at Backscatter as a very good "Bang for the buck" system, and it might be worth a look at.

As an alternative, perhaps the Panasonic LX-10 or similar camera in an Ikelite Housing might be another option worth considering that would fit in your budget.

I probably should have been more clear. This is for surface, rather than underwater use.

First choice is still a Sony A77 and my current 18-250 lens. That is an 8 MP jump in resolution from my previous Alpha 55. The 77s are going for $300-$500 used

I also discovered that Tamron is now making an 18-400 lens for Canon and Nikon bodies. A Nikon D610 is roughly comparable to the Alpha 77, can be fitted with the Tamron lens, and is a physically bigger and more rugged body, which fits my hand better. Body and lens together would probably run me $700-$800. That said, I should be able to get something for my Sony 18-250 lens I would no longer need and recoup some of that cost.

After reading your first post, I was shocked you could use such zoom lenses underwater and was going to be my first question... :)

I shoot above the water too and I'm skeptical of the quality you get from zoom lenses from so wide to so long. You could still use zoom lenses but I would use 2 lenses with 1 for wide up to 135MM or less, and then 1 for the longer lense above 135MM. I just know that apparent image quality tends to go down as you move away from the widest point of your lense. Carrying one lense and definitely paying for one lense is certainly easier/cheaper but there are benefits.

You might consider renting some gear to see what you see before making the investment. I use LenseRentals who rent cameras and lenses who may have what you are considering. It costs something but relatively inexpensive way to try before you make the whole investment. Or makes you angry because now you know what you are missing but you can't afford it. :)

Back
Top Bottom