Why

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divad

Contributor
Reaction score
isn't a power inflator considered a giant failure point? I've had them stick open twice (on rentals) and one of those times I couldn't disconnect it. And, along the same lines, why isn't a drysuit considered an exponentially giant failure point?

The LPI is a potential failure point. You should have been able to disconnect. Why couldn't you?

A dry suit also has an LPI. It is also a potential failure point.

You sound like you think they fail 100% of the time. Actually, they rarely fail. They are also pretty small devices.

evad once bubbled...
. And, along the same lines, why isn't a drysuit considered an exponentially giant failure point?

If you get right down to it, every piece of equipment is a potential failure point. Thinking about it too much will make you crazy, so don't think about it too much.:bonk:

I couldn't disconnect ipi hose, I think, because of a really stiff spring and maybe some corrosion. You'd think, if you could get it on, you'd be able to get it off. I think, since I attached it before it was under pressure, that being under pressure made it more difficult to disconnect. It was difficult on the surface. Since then, I've replaced one new very stiff ipih with one that was much easier to operate. If anyone wants the stiff one they can have it for free. A drysuit also has exhaust valves that fail. That's two failure points in one large devise. If I thought that they failed 100% of the time, I wouldn't be using them or asking this question but I appreciate the humor this early in the morning. I don't understand the point about the smallness of the device. I have o rings that are much smaller and will, eventually, fail 100%of the time.

Evad,

As these guys said, every piece of equipment is a potential failure point. In a rental however, you don't know the condition of the mechanism because YOU haven't serviced it or had it serviced. That's the reason, in additon to cost, that most serious divers purchase their own rigs.

As for the drysuit inflator, you need to be able to remove that quickly as well. If the exhaust fails at the same time-that would be rare-then you need to know how to burp your suit, or in the worst cast, to take a knife and cut it. No options here.

This (rental thing) happened a long time ago. I have since replaced a new too-stiff hose with a much looser one. If anybody wants the one I replaced, its free and unused. I've obviously got a "thing" about them. I have a "thing" about unattended suitcases on subway platforms too.

get a little pump bottle of silicone lube... the liquid, not the grease. A couple of sprays into the mechanism (through the inflator nipple) each dive day and push the button a couple of times will ensure everything is working nice and smooth.

in 4 years of diving (250+ dives) i have never had a sticky valve. so i don't consider them major failure points.

It wasn't a serious a question in any practical sense. I guess I should have used more redundant hyperbole.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom