why you should pay attention to your body

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is what was happening to me. I had this problem so long that fuid was bilding in my longues. In fact my doc told me he could see how swollen my neck was. I deffinetely think that I have someone up above that was tryinhg to give me some advice, but I just wouldn't listen until last weekend, when I was having a hard time just walking up the stairs and I knew that that sholdn't have been the case.

At 10% I probably didn't have too much more to go until the fluid went into my brain, or the fluid would have put so much pressure on my heart that it would have just stopped.

Wow...that's a major shock, scary stuff. Glad they discovered it before you had a major problem.

I hope you make a fast recovery and get back out on the road and in the water as quickly as possible. Take it easy bud, see you soon!

John

Stogey,
Ok, I've been sipping the Hoegarten for a while and I'm a liitle happy but I'll try to make this cogent.

Atrial fibulation is a very common cardiac event. It is NOT a heart attack! You can live a realtively "normal" life with Afib. You must follow up with your Primary Care Phyisician and follow his advise about your future life and lifestyle.

In simple terms..
Your heart is divided into 4 chambers. The two top chambers are called the atria. The two bottom chambers are called the ventricles. Blood leaves your heart from the left ventricle and flows thruout your body. It returns to the heart and collects in the R atria. Every second or so the R atria squezes the blood that has collected in it down to the right ventricle. A half second later the right ventricle squeeze the blood out into the lungs. The blood flows thru the lungs, exchanging CO2 for Oxygen and flows back to the Left atria. Syncronous with the R atria, the left atria squeezes every second or so and pumps the freshly oxygenated blood into the left ventricle where it is pumped out to the body. It is ussualy a very coordinated effort between the atria and the ventricles. There is an area in the R atria the acts as a pacemaker, setting the beat for the heart. Every second or so it sends out a tiny electrical impulse. This impulse travels down thru the center of the heart, thru what are in essence wires. When the impulse gets to the end of the 'wire' it it is at the bottom of the heart muscle. At that point it turns upward and travels thru the heart muscle. Do you remember back in junior high school, you probalby conducted a science experiment where you took a frogs leg and attached it to a battery? When you touched the battery wire to the leg it 'jumped!' Thats because a muscle, any muscle, only does one thing. It contracts or shortens when electricity goes thru it. When the electricity flows thru the heart muscle it makes the muscle fibers contract or shorten and the heart essentially squeezes together, squishing the blood out the top. There you go, Cardiology 101.

The problem with afib is that the area the is supposed to send out that beat every second or so (The SA node) isn't doing it's job. The atria, instead of beating in an organized synchronized manner, are sort of quivering. Your ventricles are still beating in response to a fallback beatkeeper just below the SA node (The AV node) and they are pushng blood thru your body, just not as effectivly as they would be if you had the atria helping out.

So instead of blood coming back to the atria and immediatly getting squished down into the ventricles and out to the body, it tends to sit in the ventricles. And what can happen to blood that sits? It can clot. Clots in cuts in your finger are good, clots in you heart are bad. Your MD may put you on medicine to reduce the likelyhood of clots forming. He may offer you various treatments to restore your atrias natural beat. He may also not do anthing. You need to see your physician and follow his advice. Lots of folks are wandering around with afib. With proper medical care it's something you can live with. I would be sure to tell your doc that you dive, and ask him if he wants you to stop for now. Be sure to ask him if he is current with diving physiology. (You won't be insulting him by asking, let him know that you routinely subject your body to (x) times the usual pressure depending on depth and what will that mean for your afib? Then follow his advise. And don't be afraid to get a second opinion.

Good luck

Allright Paul tie in the calcium channels and a complete rundown on the EKG meanings. Nice explanaton by the way. Its nice to learn phisiology in laymens terms.

Thanks Paul.

I'm sure they did this, but ask your doctor if he checked your thyroid function. Hyperthyroidism can cause atrial fibrillation, and thyroid disease is pretty common.

Stogey -

Glad to hear you are doing OK. FYI, my dad was dx'd with A-Fib in his late 40's. He is 66 now. He has never been a big diver, but he has run a marathon (two?) and taken countless long-range (>60 miles/day in tough terrain) biking trips with it. As NW Boiler says, it is all about healthy living and exercise.

I, myself, am a cancer survivor - chemo and all - and I think sometimes these "head's up" situations can put us into a better life place, if you know what I mean. Carpe diem.

Look forward to seeing you out at Folly again this year. Take care!!

I have always lived a relatively healthy lifestyle. Even though I smoke cigars, I usally smoke only about 1 a day. Now for a while I'll knock it down to about a half a cigar a day. I rarely drink more the 1 or 2 beers a day, if that.

When my cardiologist did the catherization,( stick a wire up my groin) and see what was up, the found zero damage and no blockage. My doc says that if I do what I'm told my heart can be completely reversed.

Just doing what I'm told and being a bit patient will be the key.

STOGEY:
I have always lived a relatively healthy lifestyle. Even though I smoke cigars, I usally smoke only about 1 a day. Now for a while I'll knock it down to about a half a cigar a day. I rarely drink more the 1 or 2 beers a day, if that.

Are you planning to buy larger cigars? I'm full Irish so one beer a day wouldn't cut it or I may end up with health issues. I just got back from the running track, and found out I am in way worse shape than I was 22 years ago. I haven't run in years but I do use the stairmaster and strength train a few time a week. I ran a mile in an shamefully slow time and was winded. I quit cigarettes a few years ago but after my run I feel like I still smoke. I guess I have to get down to my "pre-fat old guy" weight and keep up the running.

You knw the first thing that they asked me is if I smoked cigarettes, and they didn't even ask me about cigars, so I guess that cigars don't even count as far as smoking is concerned. I don't plan to give up cigars, but I probably will cut back on them a little for the time being.

Then there's my fittness rountine. Until I'm stable enough they want me to try and keep my heart rate below 100 bpm. That gives my heart a chance to rest between beats. So for now when I go to the gym I have to be careful not to break into a big sweat when working out.

Back
Top Bottom