Why would you want to dump weight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the ideal dive laws the diver begins a dive with the correct amount of weight.
In reality we know that far too many divers are overweighted.

In the ideal dive laws, every diver has good bouyancy control before diving in open water. The real case is that too many have little or no bouyancy control even after certification.

In ideal diving laws divers have reliable gear and a dependable buddy available and able to help in the case of the odd malfunction. The real case is that many are simply in the same ocean on the same day diving rental gear of unknown condition.

The point of ditchable weight and of ditching weight in the water is to keep the poorly trained real diver alive long enough for them to learn something and to get better training and skills of to take up a drier hobby.
A rec diver, diving in most places with the common gear is not likely to get very far into deco even with a fast ascent. Even if they get bent THAT will be treatable.
AGE is a far greater risk, but there are a couple of factors to reduce that risk.

First, the explitive they are saying through their reg as they go up lets air out.
Second, AGE is also treatable.

A missing diver, on or near the bottom at an unknown location is NOT treatable and is likely to be dead before being found. Divers looking for the missing diver are also at higher risk because they will take chances they would not normally take, to try and save a life.

In rec diving, it is important to get your buddy to the SURFACE and keep them their. While it is better to do this with normal technique if you must you should dump their weight.

Tech diving is a different kettle of fish, and there dumping weight before reaching the surface is rarely a good idea.

Remember, divers used to be taught 60 FPM ascent rates and most divers were going up faster than that. They weren't getting bent at every dive. Not to say a fast ascent is a good idea for normal diving, but a diver being missing on the bottom running out of gas is a worse one.

garyfotodiver:
Mania's post stated that if you dump your weights, you will get DCS. A simple categorical imperative.

I didn't say or I didn't mean that if you dump the weights you will get DCS. Releasing weights underwater results in a much too rapid ascend and this may cause DCS.
Mania

Pretty much a spin off of another thread about here last week so i'll just briefly restate my position.

I believe weight jettison for recreational diving is a hangover from the days of the ABLJ and before that where you had no buoyancy comepensation at all.

These days i cant envisage any situation ever where weight jettison should prove neccesary for a recreational diver.

If you arent overweighted, firstly you should be able to fin up against the weight to initiate the ascent and then once its started dump to manage it.

When i dive i have 3 possible buoyancy sources, i have my BC, my drysuit and my DSMB. My buddy also has the same giving us 6 possible methods of getting to the surface in a controlled manner.

If i have an incident underwater and am rendered unconcious i expect my buddy to be able to perform a controlled buoyancy lift on me and not just rocket me.

A weight belt release from any respectable depth can result in gas embolism, barotrauma in various ways and DCS or any combination of the above. From a deep depth this will probably be crippling or possible fatal.

There are far more accidents caused by weight belts accidentally releasing than there are prevented had the weight belt been jettisoned according to all the latest reports.

Given all the redundancy and proper weight with non-tech equipment and the like i fail to see any situation at all where weight belt dumping would be more beneficial than the other courses of action available.

On the surface provided someone isnt monsterously overweighted its quite possible to tow a diver whilst administering AV without ditching their belt as well.

on a thread here they talked about down currents , if caught in a down current going realy deep realy fast and bc was totaly inflated and you were not moveing up ,dump some weight might be good idea

Doesn't the accident analysis show that in many accidents the diver didn't ditch weights and many times didn't even drop their "lobster" sack. Didn't DAN have an article on this about six months or a year ago? I need to do some research. Basicially as I understand it, if you have an accident and have to make an unplanned ascent, or abort a dive, when you get to the surface, if you are not near the boat, and or near help, ditch your weights. Comma splices aside, I think if there is an alternative and there usually is an experienced diver doesn't need to ditch weights. But that is the catch isn't it? When divers start diving they don't have experience so we teach them a response to any situation that may not always be necessary. The chances of an experienced diver getting into a situation that requires weight ditching. Unexperienced divers seem to be guaranteed to get themselves into dangerous situations. ( I know that is not always true, that is why I said "seems".) I wil try and find that article.

Back to the original question...
There are essentially two circumstances where I would want to dump some of my own weight.
(1) If I were unsure I could make it to the surface without losing consciousness, I would dump weight - as much of it as I could. (this applies whether I'm just trying to get myself to the surface or trying to get another diver to the surface)
(2) If I were having trouble holding myself up on the surface I would dump weight. (this applies whether I am alone or holding someone else up too)
In addition, I would dump another diver's weight if
(1) They were unconscious or disabled and (a)I were having trouble bringing them to the surface or (b)I was unable to accompany them to the surface (deco obligation) - if unable to accompany them I'd release the weights at my first required deco stop.
(2) They were having trouble maintaining positive buoyancy at the surface when they need it.
There are certainly other scenarios where it might be necessary - common sense applies.
Rick

SamDiver14:
Doesn't the accident analysis show that in many accidents the diver didn't ditch weights and many times didn't even drop their "lobster" sack. Didn't DAN have an article on this about six months or a year ago? I need to do some research. Basicially as I understand it, if you have an accident and have to make an unplanned ascent, or abort a dive, when you get to the surface, if you are not near the boat, and or near help, ditch your weights. Comma splices aside, I think if there is an alternative and there usually is an experienced diver doesn't need to ditch weights. But that is the catch isn't it? When divers start diving they don't have experience so we teach them a response to any situation that may not always be necessary. The chances of an experienced diver getting into a situation that requires weight ditching. Unexperienced divers seem to be guaranteed to get themselves into dangerous situations. ( I know that is not always true, that is why I said "seems".) I wil try and find that article.

I don't know about recently but they made that statement in an article several years ago. However they just stated it as an observation (raw data). They made no attempt to draw a correlation between the fact that the diver still had weights and the cause of the death. Also I wouldn't really call it acident analysis because accident analysis attempts to assign a cause. The divers also had their fins on but that doesn't mean it was a cause.

I'd be willing to bet that except for entanglement that ALL divers found dead at depth still have their weights...heart attack victems included.

If the DAN dats shows anything, IMO, it's that poor skills are what get you into trouble most of the time.

There are a bunch of reasons to dump weights, most of the time those are going to be near or on the surface.

Rapid ascents to not always result in classic DCS. Pneumothorax (busted lung) is a symptom of poor airway control, not a function of ascent rate.

I've dumped weight in emergency situations several times. The thing to remember is that the FIRST TIME in the dive you think about dumping weight is the time to do it. Most will try to not dump and get themselves much deeper into trouble to all the way to panic. Lead is cheap. Get rid of it if you even suspect you''ll have a problem.

The one time out of thousands of dives it was necessary for me to get to the surface NOW to survive I went from about 160' to the surface in less than 15 seconds. No DCS was involved and the lungs held up fine. Of course back in the dark ages emergency ascent techniques were taught and drilled into us. They no longer are drilled by any of the major instruction players, most don't even mention them.

FT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom