Why would charters block people from using any GPS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just saw an add for a dive charter in Florida and in it, it said that all GPS devices of any kind, including phones were banned from the boat and if they were found the captain legally could confiscate them from you. Why would any dive charter go to that length to keep people from tagging their dive site?

I guess the Captain would also claim he can confiscate your wallet, your keys and anything else you bring on board.

I am surprised no one has mentioned the Garmin Descent series of Dive Computers that have the capability to mark the GPS coordinates for the entry & exit points of a dive.

It would be interesting to see the Captain confiscate (or try to confiscate) a diver's dive computer.

Also, when I read the word "confiscate", to me that implies that the Captain will keep them as opposed to "securing" them until the charter returns to the dock and then returning the device to the owner. If the Captain is in fact confiscating these devices, he might find himself in questionable legal territory.

Ok sure if you only go on charters that take you to the tourist spots. If you are going somewhere other than spots like that, then you would know this. My friends have literally thousands of numbers, not all are slammed daily by the charters.

Do you have the numbers to the two airplane wrecks off palm beach? One is from WW2?
we have thousands of numbers. the charts and sonar charts, the FWC maps, the DEP maps, and more. Sure occasionally we find the odd thing not on a chart but reefs are all well documented. There are sites charters don't usually go to. For example, we have some great hunting spots marked that are too small for groups of divers.
there are really no secret reefs.

we have thousands of numbers. the charts and sonar charts, the FWC maps, the DEP maps, and more. Sure occasionally we find the odd thing not on a chart but reefs are all well documented. There are sites charters don't usually go to. For example, we have some great hunting spots marked that are too small for groups of divers.
there are really no secret reefs.
thanks, I guess the answer is "no" and not all numbers are common knowledge.

Just to play devil's advocate, if I was invited to board a charter and pay my fair share to see a super cool dive site where we get it all to ourselves and the captain stays topside while I doodle around, I would go and abide by the rules of the El Jefe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom