Why would anyone dive HP tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divesherpa

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I hope not to offend anyone, but I don't understand why someone would buy a HP tank.

Their attraction to me is simply more gas per pound of above water carry weight. That's not enough of an attraction for me to actually buy one... I prefer the in-water characteristics of LP.
Rick

• I don't have a problem getting HP fills.
  • I won't overfill LP tanks, so my LP tanks aren't HP tanks.
  • I like the low volume.
  • I don't have a problem with the negative bouyancy.
  • I don't worry much about the corrosion, being a mostly freshwater diver.
  • Price. Hey, it's not my first concern, but I do factor it in. Abysmal just had a sale, 2 Faber HP100's with Highland bands and a Thermo isolation manifold for something like $450.00, delivered. Schwing!
  • That's enough of a list for now, but I'm confident I could think of more reasons if required to...

Steven

Sorry, I forgot that some people don't overfill. I can be pretty stupid some time. Do people really fill LP tanks to 2640? That's closer to 1/3's.

Originally posted by Divesherpa
Sorry, I forgot that some people don't overfill. I can be pretty stupid some time. Do people really fill LP tanks to 2640? That's closer to 1/3's.
yes, most of the time.
I've been known to push to 3300 on rare occasion, but no more
Rick

Assuming no overfill.....

Certain models are much lighter (dry land weight) than AL or LP models of similar marked volume.......could be a key factor if you are a smaller than average human, have bad knees, do lots of shore diving on rough terrain....

Example -- PST HP100 weight (including valve) = 34.1 lbs
PST LP 95 weight = 43.8 lbs

Probably not a concern for someone named "Sherpa"...;-)

Because HP100's are the same diameter as AL80's, so they fit in the holders on dive boats perect. Plus, they hold more air the AL80's, are heavier so you can wear less ditchable weight, and have less of a bouyancy swing than AL80's.

Now for doubles, LP104's or 95's are the way to go!

The only swing weight is from the weight of the gas used. If you use your HP100's down to 500 psi you will use more gas than AL80's and have more of a bouyancy change.

It is simple physics.

omar

My HP100 duals with highland bands and Thermo isolation manifold with boots and shipping was less than $500 shipped to my door. New in box.

My LP108's were $250 ea plus $130 for Highland bands plus $170 for the manifold. Shipping for the tanks was $50 for the bands was $12 and for the manifold was $10. For a grand total of $872. Saved $372 by going to the HP100's.

If anybody can give my a set of 104's set up like the HP 100's. For even close to $500 shipped to my door. I'll take 3 sets.
And I'm not joking either....

I Like the 108's and 104's. I would have bought 104's but they would have been about another $150 when I bought mine. But I dive fresh water mostly.

Will I be buying more LP's. Yep, but the deal is to great for the HP's from abysmal. And I love how they are weighted. -7.5 mt and -14.8 full takes a lot of weight off of my belt.

Faber 108's are 3.3lb bouyant mt while the PST 104's are -.7lb. But there real weight is the same. 44.3 lbs in the water. Real weight of a HP100 faber is 31lbs. 13lbs difference is a lot. While the lp104 weight out of water is 45lbs and the HP100 is 39lbs.

Luxfer 80's are 31.7lbs mt for 62lbs on your back but real weight is 35.8 for a real weight total of 71.6.
So on dual LP104's it weighs 90lbs out of the water. And the HP100's weigh 78lbs. While real weight for the LP104's is 88.6 and for the HP100's is 62lbs. For a difference of 12lbs out of the water that I don't have to carry and 26.6lbs in the water that I don't have to adjust for.... With the lead you have to add the HP's end up lighter.

Now I know your gonna say. "But I over fill mine to cave pressure at 4000psi so I have way more air". To do that you could use about a lp 78 and get the same air as the HP 100. So you basicly bought a HP100 in my mind. Cause you'll be over filling it anyway. But the steel in my HP 100 is designed for the pressure while the steel in yours isn't. Otherwise, why would they be different. Do I think there will be a failure. Probably not. Do I overpressurize my LP's. Yep. Just not as regularly as cave folk. But I rarely need that much air anyway. When I do, I swap to my LP's and jack them up.... If everybody just dove LP's so they could have more air. They sell tanks that are about 40L that you could jack the pressure up on. But you couldn't walk with it on.

I save some weight and still have extra air. Why would I want a 108 or 104 jacked up to hold 120 when I come up with 1500psi in my HP100's. Just don't need that much air all the time. When I do I agree to go with the LP's. Heck I even dive with Dual AL 80's some times.... Just depends on the dive.... One size tank is not always the perfect tank for every application...

Don't forget the fact that some of us are stuck on an island that HP is all the stares carry. That is suppose to change real soon though. 104s on the way .....keep your fingers crossed.

Scrappy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom