Why we hated the Park Royal....and left for the Grand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diversmith

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Let me start by saying that the wife and I did a lot of reading here on SB before our trip and we appreciate the helpful threads on resorts and dive operators. We thought we had it nailed for our trip starting at the end of February, but when we went to actually book it, the Grand was sold out:depressed:. We had decided on the Grand due to what we read here and what very nice people had IM'd us about their own trips and diving. After getting denied on the Grand, we looked around some more on Travelocity and figured Park Royal would be good as well. A little out of town and Blue Bubble Divers right across the street, plus the pools and beach area looked pretty nice. We went ahead and booked at PR and our 12 day trip was on.

On arrival, we were a little let down on the location and the overall condition of the resort but it wasn't the end of the world. Then we started getting hit by the timeshare people right away. While we were waiting for our room to be ready, we got the walk around and the sales pitch. Not too big of a deal.....until we went to our room in the new tower! We had booked a garden view room thru Travelocity and we didn't see any garden in sight....just the highway, a dirt lot with some vehicles and the El Cid...oh, and some highway noise:( We immediately called the front desk to complain and were then taken to another room in the older building, which seemed alright unil we realized it was right down the hall from a travel booking desk! Our room was filled with the sound of phones ringing and people talking loudly....not pleasant and forget about taking a quick siesta. It got worse the next morning. I don't know what was worse, the cruise ship horns in the morning or the peacocks squawking loudly waking us up way too early. And then the phones started ringing again first thing at the travel desk. Down by the water the place was packed and the pools and beach were very crowded. Too many rude people blowing smoke around you and whenever we moved, we always seemed to end up downwind of more smokers. Lots of loud, drunk, trashy people to deal with. Add to this every time we walked anywhere on the property, we were constantly hit up by the same group of sales pitch guys selling time shares and scooter rentals. We were getting very aggravated very quickly. It basically was all downhill from the start. Terrible rooms with crappy beds, rude timeshare people, terrible food, always very loud...forget ever getting a nap, very cold pools, crappy drinks, rude timeshare people, terrible service at the buffets and even reservation restaraunts, rude vendors setting up at night to sell you crappy jewelry, peacocks squawking, cruise ship air horns, and did I mention the rude timeshare people? After several days of this, I tried getting thru to Travelocity to see what could be done. After waiting on hold for over 20 minutes while paying international roaming charges, I hung up. We toughed it out a little longer when we finally agreed we were miserable. We walked outside the PR to rent a scooter to go tour the south side and possibly check out the Grand to see if they might have any last minute cancellations. Once we pulled into the Grand we were blown away. They were very nice and took us on a tour of the property and showed us the rooms. We were hooked! They said they has just a couple of rooms open for the next 5 days and were honest in telling us to book it online for a better rate than they could give us. We rode the scooter back to the PR and jumped online to book it. We had to get out of there before our whole vacation was spent being miserable. We started packing once again (we ended up going to a third room to get away from the noise at the end of the hallway) and had our last few crappy meals at PR. (when I can't finish a chocolate desert, something is very wrong!!!!). We woke up the next morning, ate another so-so breakfast with crappy service and finished packing. PR basically told us to pound sand about a partial refund on checking out early. They were rude and unhelpful to the last minute. We rolled down to the Grand and felt like we had just entered paradise. The winds were starting to die down (we only got one day of diving in with Blue Bubble...they were really nice guys, but small and very beat up boats) and things were looking up.

The Grand is a world of difference compared to PR. What's crazy is the we only paid 700.00 less to book at PR than we were planning on paying for the Grand. PR really should have been about 2000.00 less to make it bearable:) We were asked ONE TIME about a time share pitch and that was it. The property is incredible, the rooms are just the right amount of fanciness without seeming like you are in some city hotel, the pools are very nice and the beach was incredible. The buffet food was miles ahead of PR's reservation restaraunts and the service was as well. The lunch buffet was so relaxing...nothing like coming off the dive boat and enjoying a tasty lunch while being out in the open air enjoying the views of the ocean. Dive Palancar was a breath of fresh air with their much more modern fleet of boats and helpful divemasters that left us alone to dive our computers. Very short boat rides to the great sites made diving so easy and enjoyable. It reminded us of Anthony's Key in how they run it...set up like a true "dive resort". We ended up geting 5 days straight of outstanding diving with 2 really funny guys who were very, very experienced divers from Chicago that I buddied up with when my wife wasn't diving with me. Our trip was snatched from the jaws of despair and we ended up having a great time at the Grand!

Things we learned this trip...
1. Travelocity is next to useless once you give them your money. I continued trying to work with them on a solution once we arrived back home to no avail. A supervisor never got back to me and I had to dispute it with AMEX. Travelocity sucks big-time!
2. Park Royal is a complete rip-off considering the price in relation to other resorts.
3. If you really are looking for a true "getaway vacation" don't even bother staying anywhere close to or in town. Downtown basically exists just to rip off the cruisers and there is nothing to see or do worthwhile there. If your idea of fun is to be constantly hustled to buy fake cubans or overpriced, supposedly duty-free items you can get online much cheaper, then by all means head into or stay in town. The food wasn't that great either...I have had much better mexican food back home in Southern California. I was shocked at how crappy the in-town hotels looked compared to the pics on Travelocity. Any of the big name bars are also a rip-off...again they just exist to rip of the cruisers. Anyplace close to town and by the highway will have tons of noise, sirens, horns etc. I ended up getting pissed off after getting hassled so much and we left. Completely unimpressed and it is by no means "quaint".
4. If you stay down south the good dive spots are all a short ride away and you get to spend more time enjoying yourselves on the beach.
5. You must dive Devil's Throat...one of the best dives I have ever been on. :D
6. We lost track of the sharks, eagle rays, big morays, turtles and big lobsters...it was awesome!
7. There is a big difference in the quality of rooms between the Grand and the Allegro even though they are both owned by Occidental. We had some people that bumped over from the Allegro to the Grand and they said they were much happier with the rooms at the Grand.
8. If you are on a tight budget and just want to dive, be warned that the less expensive places are less expensive for a reason. Don't expect peace and quiet, nice views or even decent service and food. But you will enjoy the diving :D
9. I don't mind doing back rolls off of small crappy boats but for someone like my wife who is newer to the diving thing, Dive Palancar is the way to go for people like her. I also enjoy having room to move around and keeping my stuff dry so that is something to think about as well

I am not trying to offend anyone with my findings...just trying to give our view on how things went down for us. I wish we had really known about the huge difference between the "town and southern area" thing.

BTW, I have been diving since 1983 and became a PADI instructor in 1986 and spent 2 years teaching in the Middle East. I have been diving from South Africa to Hawaii and many places in between in all sorts of boats and conditions and have seen my fair share of dive ops. I am not a novice diver or traveller to say the least and definitely do not have to be pampered. I just gave up my instructor cert last year and my wife was my last student, certifiying her in '08. We can hardly be considered "travel snobs"...we just like to have some peace and quiet and have some fun without being bothered. We ARE NOT 5 star hotel types and are not too picky when it comes to food, just in case you are wondering if we are ovr picky types:)

I know this is kind of a long post but I hope it helps some people out when they plan a trip to Coz:) If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Sorry things didn't go as planned. It is hard sometimes to know what you're getting going in just based on internet pictures and info. I've had that happen here in the states, and it can be pretty horrible when it involves vacation stays. Have never stayed at PR as it's usually way more than we want to pay and it is located at a very noisy area with the cruise ships and all. These days - after many, many trips - we know what we want, so we book through Orbitz and stay at Fiesta Americana. I think November will be our 5th stay there. You can get a great deal without sacrificing comfort. May not be as upscale as the Grand and a few of the other places, but we've never been bothered by a time share person, the rooms are very comfortable, the property is nice, and the staff has always been very agreeable. Don't know about food other than breakfast (we don't do AI) but the breakfast buffet was always quite nice.

As for diving, again it's knowing what you want, and what's available. A large percentage of the ops run the small '6-packs'. But if you like a bit larger, more comfy boats, they're out there as well. Glad you & the wife had some great dives to offset the miserable hotel experience, and hopefully you'll be better prepared for the next trip there so the whole vacation can be great!

Wow.

I spent 46 days over 5 trips to coz last year and just got back from two weeks and our wedding there last week. I have to say that seldom have I read a post on this board that I so completely disagree with as this one. But diversity is what makes the world go around. Just about every decision you made would be the opposite of mine. You want far from town, having done both multiple times... I prefer to be near civilization. You like the buffet food of an all inclusive, I want to eat in town away from the tourists (bet you a day trip on Felicity that the food I get is better and I can take four such trips for the price of one at The Grand). You think Dive Palancar is the cats meow, I wouldn't get in a cattle boat without shade even if you were paying for it. You love Devils Throat, I've done it many times and would FAR rather do any of a few dozen other dives than that one. You and I are Ying and Yang my friend. Completely opposite polarity, but Cozumel still has places to keep us both happy...excellent! It's a pretty amazing place which is why we had our wedding there.

The great thing about Cozumel is that there is something there for everyone. If you want to feel like you are diving from your back yard in Southern California...there is a place for you. If you want peace and quiet near town, there are many places for you there as well. Hotel Coz, Casa Mexicana, the Palace, and many others are both quiet and near to town. I would far rather pay to eat at places like Casa Mission, La Kinta, Especias than stand in line at a buffet...but then I actually like walking through town.

I'm glad that you did eventually find what you were looking for. The only all inclusive I've stayed at on Cozumel was Iberostar, which I could find nothing whatsoever to complain about....though I think I can say with relative certainty that I expect far less from a vacation in Mexico than you do. We did do all inclusive for our honeymoon over in Playa just because we've spent so much time on Coz in the last couple of years that we wanted something different for the honeymoon...and we spent the week wishing we had stayed on Coz. I was craving Los Otates the entire week. We've done all inclusives at Sandals in Jamaica and Iberostar on Coz and Princess Grand in Playa and will not do all inclusives again. They are fine, but not worth the price when so much better food is available in town...if you do some preparation and reading. I would bet a dive trip that nothing at the buffet came close to an average meal at La Kinta, but then again...I wouldn't know where any of those restaurants were if not for reading this board far more than I should.

Last edited:
Don't dis the backroll. It's still my favorite boat entry. (Too many memories of the Calypso crew and Mike Nelson.)

Wow.

I spent 46 days over 5 trips to coz last year and just got back from two weeks and our wedding there last week. I have to say that seldom have I read a post on this board that I so completely disagree with as this one. But diversity is what makes the world go around. Just about every decision you made would be the opposite of mine. You want far from town, having done both multiple times... I prefer to be near civilization. You like the buffet food of an all inclusive, I want to eat in town away from the tourists (bet you a day trip on Felicity that the food I get is better). You think Dive Paradise is the cats meow, I wouldn't get in a cattle boat without shade even if you were paying for it. You love Devils Throat, I've done it many times and would FAR rather do any of a few dozen other dives than that one. You and I are Ying and Yang. Completely opposite polarity, but Cozumel still has places to keep us both happy. Pretty amazing place which is why we had our wedding there.

The great thing about Cozumel is that there is something there for everyone. If you want to feel like you are diving from your back yard in Southern California...there is a place for you. If you want peace and quiet near town, there are many places for you there as well. Hotel Coz, Casa Mexicana, the Palace, and many others are both quiet and near to town. I would far rather pay to eat at places like Casa Mission, La Kinta, Especias than stand in line at a buffet...but then I actually like walking through town.

I'm glad that you did eventually find what you were looking for. The only all inclusive I've stayed at on Cozumel was Iberostar, which I could find nothing to complain about....though I think I can say with relative certainty that I expect far less from a vacation in Mexico than you do. We did do all inclusive for our honeymoon over in Playa just because we've spent so much time on Coz in the last couple of years that we wanted something different for the honeymoon...and we spent the week wishing we had stayed on Coz. I was craving Los Otates the entire week. We've done all inclusives at Sandals in Jamaica and Iberostar on Coz and Princess Grand in Playa and will not do all inclusives again. They are fine, but not worth the price when so much better food is available in town...if you do some preparation and reading. I would bet a dive trip that nothing at the buffet came close to an average meal at La Kinta, but then again...I wouldn't know where any of those restaurants were if not for reading this board far more than I should.

We had lots of shade on DP's boats, and they have different sizes. As I recall the most we had on the boats was 12 and we went down in 2 groups. We had quite a few dives with less than 10 divers aboard. If you think Devil's Throat is ho-hum, I guess you have dived there too much:)

You also must enjoy getting hustled by the downtowners more than we do:) I don't enjoy getting hustled constantly to buy way overpriced, obviously fake Cuban cigars. My idea of a vacation is getting away and that was the point I was trying to make. Then again, if you are NOT from the "city" and want to get that vibe while you are away, then more power to you. Seeing how we live in a big city, we find it nice NOT dealing with cars, taxis, noise, horns, sirens and rude people when on vacation...that's just OUR preference and I am not trying to change yours so don't act insulted by my post.

The intent of my post was not to try to change someones preferences, just to advise people of what things are like and they can choose one style of vacation over the other. We were really bummed out on the quality of the PR and the crappy experience we had in town....we don't find beggars cute nor quaint. I lived in the third world for 2 years and again don't find anything special about hanging out in noisy, dirty run-down cities trying to find decent food when we can get it at a nice resort while kicking up our feet and relaxing. Acting like downtown Coz is like cruising around Manhatten checking out fine dining is a real stretch:D Just like the wife and I didn't hop down to Coz expecting to stay at the Four Seasons!!!! We don't like places like that BUT we do like to have a pleasant vacation free of noise and hassles. I'm just a middle class fireman but I guess being middle class also means I kinda like being middle of the road when it comes to accomodations, especially when it comes to traveling with the wife...women have been known to want a few creature comforts:) And like I also mentioned, for the price that the PR wants, it is way out of line for what you get.

Like I said, I am not trying to trash anyone or change preferences, just inform others of what we were looking for and what we actually experienced.

Don't dis the backroll. It's still my favorite boat entry. (Too many memories of the Calypso crew and Mike Nelson.)

You got a point there...i grew up on the Calypso stuff:D

For now, though, I need to find that happy medium for me and the wife until she gets more experince and increases her comfort zone. Personally, I have had plenty of banzai dive trips off of inflatables diving sweet spots off the beaten path on Grand Cayman with friends who live there:)

I do not often agree with Bill much but I have to kinda agree with him on this one!! BTW Congratulations!!!
I love a back roll off a small 6 pack boat and have since my first dives many years ago. No desire to dive on anything bigger. We put Devils Throat in the same category as the Blue Hole, very beautiful but "been there done that" we are not rushing back. If I had to choose a more advanced site, I would prefer to dive Barracuda any day. We stay in the Corpus Christi area of town and look forward to going into town each night for a great dinner. The food in Cozumel is incredible. Not sure how you missed that. Nice restaurants like Kinta and Especias as well as the taco places like ElPique are far better (an less expensive in the long run) that any AI food.
I am sure the Grand was beautiful and it sounds like when you got there you had a good time. That kind of vacation would never work for us. We find the island charming and want to soak it all up!. The attraction of Cozumel is not only the food and the diving but its the people who live there. Can't wait for our next trip in August.

Well. I can't comment on the PR, but it sounds terrible. It and the Grand are far from the only two choices, though. I absolutely love Blue Angel, which is closer to town than the PR. I have been staying there since 1982 and I have no desire to stay anywhere else.

A little street noise doesn't bother me, and I love walking around in town, especially in the evening when all the cruseros have gone back to their BUB's. The hawkers don't bug me at all, I just say "no, gracias" and go on my merry way. You knock the food in town, but did you try Kinta, La Veranda, Prima, Capi Navegante, Especias, Sonora Grill, or La Cocay?

I totally agree about the "big name" bars (Maragaritaville, Senor Frog's, Carlos n' Charlie's, Hard Rock Cafe), but I don't go to bars on Cozumel very much, if at all. Most of us who have been to Cozumel multiple times know to stay out of those places.

Where did you see beggars? I've seen a (very) few in over 30 years of going to Cozumel, I guess, but not many. Nothing at all like in the border towns.

But like Bill says, there's something there for everyone. If what you want do is isolate yourself from the local culture in a resort at the south end, you can do that very easily (if not cheaply :D). Not my cuppa but to each his own.

Different strokes for different folks. Personally I liked the Grand as far as the grounds & the room went, but my wife & I plus the other couple that went with us last trip were VERY disappointed with the food & the service there. We much prefer the Iberostar if staying at that end of the island. That said we generally stay in town, and enjoy exploring it, eating at several places we consider great, and I am also in the small boat, back roll entry group. Also re Devil's Throat, one of those dives I've done and would prefer to not do any more since there are just so many other spots I'd rather be diving while there.

Back
Top Bottom