Why visit DEMA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, these are exactly the types of comments I was looking for. If anyone has any other thoughts, please let me know.

You live in Texas. Money better spent by your attending the retail show called SeaSpace, in Houston.

You are too new in industry to get any good from the esoteric level of commercial conversational interaction at the show, you are also way to new to see the humor in some of what is displayed. A lot of the most bizarre stuff goes right over most people's heads. Some strange sights, all the way around.

All over the country there are excellent retail dive shows open to the public. In Chicago, Seacaucus, Florida, California and more. Try GOOGLE with the words "scuba show".

Since I'm not working at DEMA this year, I'm just driving up on that last Saturday for the day. If I was in Texas, I'd go to DEMA next year in Las Vegas.

Enter all the trip giveaways! Take a LOT of business cards. It's a big show and there is a lot to look at and it's a great meet and greet opportunity and you can take the experience back to your staff at the shop, customers, and so on. Have fun!

I'm agreeing with Debra....my group won a trip to Cozumel, & one to Grand Cayman. We left with maps, dive slates, coupons, tshirts, dvd's, stickers, beer cozies etc.... We walked the show floor sipping smoothies and rum. Met so many new people ( saw Miss Directed in person and said hi:) ) ran into many old friends. Everyone talked new dive gear, met for dinners and drinks, and there was a party every night! Mel Fisher's party was open bar! Added in a manatee dive in crystal river...( 1 hr drive) went to Disney and Busch Gardens too! I say go....and have fun!

You live in Texas. Money better spent by your attending the retail show called SeaSpace, in Houston.

There is no more SeaSpace. They're going to apparently try another kind of exhibit in the not too distant future, but SeaSpace as it has been known before has been discontinued.

http://www.divechronicles.com/texas/

Dive Chronicles now has the Texas Dive Show. They are using the same organizers as the SeaSpace show.
:focus:
Hmmm, I have to be in Austin that Saturday, maybe I could drive to Houston that evening and go to the show on Sunday. It looks like it is mainly vacation/tourist exhibitors, not much in the way of manufacturers. Do many people go to this show?

Thanks for the tip.

It looks like it is mainly vacation/tourist exhibitors, not much in the way of manufacturers. Do many people go to this show?

The manufacturer's reps and local dive shops show up to these exhibitions all over the USA.

If you are a commercial entity (a Club, LDS, Instructor), the travel related booths can easily switch into "wholesale mode" and talk quantity pricing.

Obviously, the equipment manufacturers will refer you for sales to an LDS until your dealership application is accepted. Otherwise, even they will entertain you with descriptions of features their gear offers. You will see all of their hot new and cool stuff, and no, they are not interested in selling you their display items at 5pm on Sunday night. It really isn't happening at DEMA, either, not unless you're a dealer buying everything they brought.

You can get maps, dive slates, coupons, t-shirts, dvd's, stickers, beer cozies and win trips... even at this retail show. Many operators also give away trips and there are charity auctions.

If you are a SCUBABoard member, watch the threads develop and see who's going to meet when and where. NetDoc wussied out of Chicago the last go-around, surely it was not due to out 10 degree temperatures!

When Houston was "Sea Space" it was well attended, even in the days of the sub- basement of the Hyatt. It looks like it is in re-birth. Go- support the process!The Chicago Show, Our World Underwater is also big, as is New Jersey and some I am less familiar with in California. The Denver show seems to also be getting good reports from their shows. The Asian show (commercial) is the shiznits and London (retail) is quite the social affair.

A lot of Texans want to fly out of Houston to paradise. A dive show there is an obvious winner.

At DEMA, the exhibitors are geared up to talk to industry professionals. They will know within 10 seconds if they're going to talk to you or smile and walk away. The first clue is the attendee with a huge overstuffed bag of brochures and what is called "CPC" (Cheap Plastic "Stuff"), the promo giveways, etc. If you look like a tourist or speak like one, they will ignore you. No hard feelings, you're at a commercial show. Like I always say though, if you do go- look for the oddball whacky stuff. It's going to be there.

Here's an example: I represented a Dive Shop that was an official Camera Dealer for "X.Co." I approached them at their booth and expressed interest in the remaining stock of X.Co Dive Computers that they had in their inventory but no longer was a catalog item. I told them I wanted to cut a deal, right there and then, for the entire lot. Long story short, they wouldn't even tell me how many they had left because I was not an X.Co Dive Gear Dealer. It didn't matter if they had our complete information on our X.Co Camera Dealer file, they simply wouldn't talk with me. I even drew the commercail checkbook out of my brief case and asked, "Take my money, please". They wouldn't budge. (Incidently- the computers appeared as a close-out in Divers Direct about a year later, they were called the "Profile 1000" for you trivia buffs)

Go support your local dive show, have fun. Don't fret about DEMA.

Great info everyone - thanks! I just completed DM (yesterday). I'm about a 2 hour drive from Orlando and was wondering whether a trip to DEMA would be time well spent. I'm going to go, but everyone's input helps me set expectations.

BTW - I've heard about DEMA for years - most people talk about all the GREAT gear deals you can get while there. Is this reality? Can I expect to find great 'end of show' type deals (i.e. cheap gear)?

No matter what your reason, DEMA is always a blast! While it's too late to make it this year, there will always be other years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom