Why Use a High Volume Mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They don't fit. Don't seal. Or simply the glass contacts my face on some masks while diving.

Low volume, isn't a buying item data point for me.

I want to mention, I've never had a Mako mask. It might work fine for me.

Better late than never to the party...
Looking @ Low Volume Mask as a fix...
Cannot find a mask that does not leak.
LDS suggests leaking at "smile lines" which are getting more pronounced the older I get.
If I pull on my cheeks while under water the mask no leak BUT can't swim around with my hands on my face the whole time.
Tried masks with larger skirt but that didn't do the trick, looking to try one with less skirt.
Tried LDS and none of their options worked in the water with a reg - did great in the shop.
Tired of FLOODED mask and having to clear every couple of minutes
Desperate - anyone else out there had masks leak at the (bottom seal ) cheeks?
If so did you find a fix?
Make?
Model?
Don't tag this at the end of a decade-old thread. Start a new one to focus on your needs.

already did and desperate for more insight

Better late than never to the party...
Looking @ Low Volume Mask as a fix...
Cannot find a mask that does not leak.
LDS suggests leaking at "smile lines" which are getting more pronounced the older I get.
If I pull on my cheeks while under water the mask no leak BUT can't swim around with my hands on my face the whole time.
Tried masks with larger skirt but that didn't do the trick, looking to try one with less skirt.
Tried LDS and none of their options worked in the water with a reg - did great in the shop.
Tired of FLOODED mask and having to clear every couple of minutes
Desperate - anyone else out there had masks leak at the (bottom seal ) cheeks?
If so did you find a fix?
Make?
Model?
All right then--I'll try.

If a mask fits in a store but leaks while being used, then in almost all cases I have experienced as an instructor, the diver is moving the face too much while diving. I used to start each class with my mask on my face, with a snorkel dangling down, but the strap sitting loose on the top of my head. It would stay in place, kept there by the minor inhalation I had done while putting it on, even while I talked to me students about it. Then I would smile only slightly, and it would fall off. I would put it back on and make some other minor movement, and it would fall off. I could talk without disturbing it, but almost any other movement would break the seal.

Another possibility is exhaling through the nose while diving. That will definitely break the seal. People who do this frequently do not know they are doing it can cannot tell they are doing it. I once had a female student who had a big head of hair that she did not control with any kind of hair band, so her hair went all around the sides of her face. She swore she was not breathing out her nose during the pool sessions, but while she was under water, you could see bubbles constantly percolating through her hair.

I AM a swivel head - in life so I imagine that I when diving as well - turn me instead of m head is what I think I'm reading.
Not sure about the nose breathing thing but will try and think about it more when under.
Fascinating about the "movements" breaking the seal - will try that too.
Thank you for taking the time to help me.
I REALLY appreciate it - d

Perfect fit Guarantee:​

Hey Dive Buddies,
I’m so confident in how well these awesome freedive masks fit, I want to prove it to you.
In the very remote chance my MAKO Minimus Freedive Mask does not fit, you can send it back within 90 days of the purchase date for a full refund. We will even cover the shipping cost back to us!

Perfect fit Guarantee:​

Hey Dive Buddies,
I’m so confident in how well these awesome freedive masks fit, I want to prove it to you.
In the very remote chance my MAKO Minimus Freedive Mask does ...
@MAKO Spearguns,

For me (and others with broader noses), the width of the nose pocket on many (most?) low volume scuba masks is a real challenge. Because of this, I have a love-hate relationship with my SP Frameless (which I have worn since the mid-1990's). Looking at the pic of your Minimus Freedive Mask, I expect the same challenge.

rx7diver

I just ordered one, we will see if it fits over the nose and doesn't leak. I was in the market for a new mask anyway. The old SP is showing its age.

Well, just got a chance to test the new Mako mask. Does not fit my face, leaked from the first descent until changed to other mask. I even shaved mustache to give it the best chance of success. Now I need to figure out how to send it back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom