Why Use a High Volume Mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's a good low volume mask brand and model? I have a old scuba pro frameless but I'm curious if there are other good brand/model to consider.

So my question is: Why does it seem that low volume masks have had a rather slow acceptance into the scuba market?

High/Low volume seems to only be an issue for manufacturers and marketing companies and a talking point for sales people in the store. I don't think I know anybody who bought a mask based on internal volume; they typically buy for the best fit, fewest leaks and most comfortable.

There are bigger and smaller masks, and it really depends on what you face is shaped like.

The last truly high volume mask I was able to buy new was my old SCUBAPro, which is really starting to show it's age. If it were still available I'd buy it, because it had plenty of room for my honker.

flots.

I've yet to find one that fits. I have a hard enough time finding a regular mask that fits well as it is.

Oh, by the way all the new masks are low volume compared to the big oval SOB's that Mike Nelson made famous and we all dove with back then.

Bob

Attachments

• Voit 50 Fathom Mask.jpg
    Voit 50 Fathom Mask.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 313
Last edited:
My answer to the question "Why use a high volume mask?" is "Why not?" I've snorkelled for over fifty years and I'm a traditionalist when it comes to equipment. When it happened, I viewed the manufacturers' changeover from high-volume rubber-skirted masks to low-volume silicone-skirted mask as a choice, not a necessity, and I have myself chosen to stick with the kinds of mask I started with in the late 1950s. I agree with those who say that fitting and sealing masks to accommodate a wide diversity of facial profiles matters most of all.

Traditional high-volume oval masks are still manufactured, notably in France where Beuchat and Sommap still make them. A few years ago, I decided to research the availability of blue-skirted higher-volume masks and was surprised how many I managed to track down. Here are a few examples:

Escualo of Mexico (who call their high-volume traditionals "visores")
vica.gifV_Ixtapa-150x120.gif
Gonper of Mexico
visor_azul2.gifvisor_azul1.gif
Majorca sub of Greece
03-001.jpg
Gull of Japan
gul-11a0101_01.jpg
and Spine of Russia
pic_65_list.jpgpic_66_list.jpgpic_67_list.jpg

All the above models are in current production. The problem isn't so much manufacturing such masks, it's their distribution and availability in western countries. I succeeded, though, in getting hold of the two Escualo masks, a Cancun and an Ixtapa, and I love snorkelling with them. Nothing would persuade me to opt for a low-volume silicone-skirted mask; as far as I am concerned, masks remain largely a matter of personal preference.

Last edited:
I like low volume mask idea very much, tried few, all those masks now passed to wife, son and friends. Issue that in shop you can do only -about- to check and after real check in water, dive shop will not take it back.
So, why I don't use low volume mask:
1. Low volume mask less forgivable for non exactly comparable face and you can't return the mask after use in water.
2. My face seems too hot during a dive. As result in 70 and below water my low volume mask full of fog. I burn it, used toothpaste and special sprays and spat on it, doesn't help.
3. My eyelashes touch glass of most low volume masks, it is not disturb a dive, but annoying and I know that I have long eyelashes, even I am not girl. My friends laugh that I need to learn how to use eyelashes as car wipers, especially of #2 :)

I like low volume mask idea very much, tried few, all those masks now passed to wife, son and friends. Issue that in shop you can do only -about- to check and after real check in water, dive shop will not take it back.
So, why I don't use low volume mask:
1. Low volume mask less forgivable for non exactly comparable face and you can't return the mask after use in water.
2. My face seems too hot during a dive. As result in 70 and below water my low volume mask full of fog. I burn it, used toothpaste and special sprays and spat on it, doesn't help.
3. My eyelashes touch glass of most low volume masks, it is not disturb a dive, but annoying and I know that I have long eyelashes, even I am not girl. My friends laugh that I need to learn how to use eyelashes as car wipers, especially of #2 :)

I especially agree with your point #2, a higher volume mask increases the depth of air space between forehead/skin and the mask glass, making it less vulnerable to fogging if the water is cooler.

Better late than never to the party...
Looking @ Low Volume Mask as a fix...
Cannot find a mask that does not leak.
LDS suggests leaking at "smile lines" which are getting more pronounced the older I get.
If I pull on my cheeks while under water the mask no leak BUT can't swim around with my hands on my face the whole time.
Tried masks with larger skirt but that didn't do the trick, looking to try one with less skirt.
Tried LDS and none of their options worked in the water with a reg - did great in the shop.
Tired of FLOODED mask and having to clear every couple of minutes
Desperate - anyone else out there had masks leak at the (bottom seal ) cheeks?
If so did you find a fix?
Make?
Model?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom