Why use a BC anyway?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But I am left wondering what good a BC does me when its buoyancy is so hard to control. If I am properly weighted, I shouldn't be sinking or rising at any great rate anyway. If I get into trouble, I can drop the weights and rise with the buoyancy of the wetsuit. It seems that the BC adds a potentially dangerous variable that only complicates things for a new diver, and I would be better off without it. Any thoughts?

A BC allows you to adjust and control your buoyancy at any depth. Pure weighting alone is pretty much adjusted to a certain depth. Outside of that you're either heavy or light, of which it will require you to have even more in depth diving/swimming techniques to master.

Your problem wasn't because of the BC but because of poor training. Can't blame a BC for that.

As far as better off without the BC, that's debatable and depends on which school of diving philosophy you want to hear from. Back in the old days, there were no BC and people dived just fine. If you don't want to use a BC then find a diving organization that would certify you without the use of BC. Or just grunt it through another certification course and then don't use the BC ever again. After you get the cert card, you can do whatever you want to do.

You stated this was your first dive, how were you with the BC in your confined area exercises?

We did some practice in the pool, but never really utilized the BC a lot. Since the pool was only 8' deep, I could sink all the way to the bottom or pop right up to the surface without having any issues. I think this covered up mistakes I made that should have been caught by my instructor. Knowing what I now know, I would have insisted on getting some practice with maintaining neutral buoyancy.

---------- Post Merged at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:31 PM ----------

Thanks for your answer- it's taken me some time, but I do feel as though I am ready to give this another try with another instructor. I have gained a lot of understanding and respect for the things that can go wrong. Diving is something I have wanted to try for a long time, and I was truly disappointed when my first experience turned bad.. but in the spring I will take another shot at this..

---------- Post Merged at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:31 PM ----------

Many thanks to everyone who took the time to reply- I truly appreciate your support and encouragement!

Glad you're not giving up, good luck to you.

We did some practice in the pool, but never really utilized the BC a lot. Since the pool was only 8' deep, I could sink all the way to the bottom or pop right up to the surface without having any issues. I think this covered up mistakes I made that should have been caught by my instructor. Knowing what I now know, I would have insisted on getting some practice with maintaining neutral buoyancy.

---------- Post Merged at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:31 PM ----------

Thanks for your answer- it's taken me some time, but I do feel as though I am ready to give this another try with another instructor. I have gained a lot of understanding and respect for the things that can go wrong. Diving is something I have wanted to try for a long time, and I was truly disappointed when my first experience turned bad.. but in the spring I will take another shot at this..

---------- Post Merged at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:31 PM ----------

Many thanks to everyone who took the time to reply- I truly appreciate your support and encouragement!

I think that you would enjoy it the second time around.

Just don't let anybody sell you that the BC is a "life support equipment". If it were then it would be an LSE instead of a BCD.

First of all, a BC is not a "life support device". It's a Buoyancy Control Device.

It helps control your buoyancy, that's it. Plenty of people, by virtues of good weighting and balanced rigs, don't need BCs and they are as graceful as it can get.

This is so true. If I'm only wearing shorts and a rashy I only use my BC twice during a dive. Both times are at the surface, to descend starting the dive and to float after the dive. While under I use my breathing to change depth. For this proper weighting is extremely important.

One of the things I saw mentioned in this thread was also reiterated by my instructor. Use short burst of air in a BC and wait for the effects as it will not be immediately noticeable.

Back
Top Bottom